Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

I had a Canon Pixma 4200 but I traded it for a Pixma 5200. I now realized that inks cardtriges are not the same. I have a box full of ink for the 4200, Gosh!

The new 5200 use 8m, 8C, 8y with a chip in front of each refill while the 4200 uses 6m,6y, and so on with no chip.I tried hard but it won't fix in the 5200.

The question is: If there any way to remove the chip or make old inks compatible with the 5200?

I did a bad move? Yep
123Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:34 AM   #2

i think that you have ip4000 instead of ip4200 which use the same cart as the ip5200. Here is the spec.'s ip4200
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=11641
siusiuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3

I, for one, made the same bad move, switching from an ip6000 to an ip6600 with chipped cartridges. I will never buy another Canon because of the way they **** me.

I also had an old Epson, which constantly clogged, so I'd never buy another Epson either. Obviously my choice of printers is limited.

Fortunately prints are down to 12 cents apiece from various sources, which is cheaper than I can print them.

SLK
shel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:55 PM   #4

OMG< lol, it's not the printer makers, it's *YOU* because yes, you are very limited then. The Canon chips on the carts, do NOT make it so you can't refill them; I do all the time! and the CLI8 inks are better and have more color range, tonal gradation! They also last longer and stand up the elements longer. Every manufacturer does this in some way, and most of the others, do not let you refill, the chip renders the cartridge useless. You get the MOST ink from the Canon's anyway; they have printed the quantity on the boxes for as long as I recall; Epson and Lexmark won't tell you, and HP, well they spell it out, a WHOPPING 5ml of black for $23! That one is clear- GREED!

And the Canon's currently have the highest print resolution with the smallest ink droplet now 1pl.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote