Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 16, 2003, 3:34 PM   #1

Default Looking for new printer - HP, Epson or Canon?

Hi: I'm new to the site. I just bought a new Pentax Optio S 3.2 camera. I'm now looking for a great dedicated photo printer. Priorities: excellent print quality & color accuracy, economical on consumables (ink/paper), able to accept SD cards. I'm upgrading from a Canon S100 2.1 Elph with a HP PhotoSmart 1000.

I was impressed with a friend's output on the Epson Photo 825; it looks more lab-quality than the output on my HP. I also like the idea of Epson's 6-ink printing & their PRINT Image Matching technology. The 825 accepts the SD cards & seems to have a good price-point. However, I'm also reading good things about the Canon S900 and the HP Photosmart 7350/7550.

Does anyone have any opinions to share on the above 3 cos. and their products which may help me decide? Anything would be appreciated; thanks very much!
tdweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:35 PM   #2

Canon and HP have both done alot of studying to catch Epson regarding photo printers.

What looks better from an HP, Canon, or Epson is purely subjective so that is hard to say. I love my Canon i9100 (the wide format printer) as well as my old S800 (the predecessor to the current i950 now discontinued S900). As far as speed, the Canon's win. Epson's Stylus Photo 2200 is their fastest printer to date. HP's can get even slower than Epson.

As far as longevity, Epson is generally rated the longest lasting before noticable fading occurs. HP has recently received new and much higher ratings than before. Canon's prints, if well taken care of, are rated for 25 years on Photo Paper Pro. But where the HP cannot touch Canon and Epson is its susceptibility to water. With HP Papers, you can make a print and then lick your finger and rub the ink off. I have done this with a print from and HP printer and a Canon on a sheet of HP's premium paper. With my Canon on Canon's Photo Paper Pro, I have taken a print that has set for 15 minutes and put it in a bowl full of water for 30 seconds and the ink would not rub off.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote