Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1

seems like everytime i turn on my R310 it wants to clean its printhead which wastes so much ink! Even if i turn it off (electric power socket still on though) for just an hour and come back and turn it on it will run a cleaning cycle. If I leave it on the whole day it will want to clean the heads whenever i start a new print job! I think I've wasted about half of my CISS on head cleaning cycles alone! is there anyway or tips to avoid this?
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:09 AM   #2

I wish I knew!

I just leave mine on standby, never turn it off unless moving it or changing something.

I think that does help a little, but it's still odds-on to do a clean of I swap from paper to CD etc. even if it's just done a routine clean in the current mode.

I'm sure Epson do it for revenue reasons — most users don't fit drain tanks so they never discover how much ink is thrown out, just accept the high consumption as part and parcel of owning an inkjet.

As you've now found out, most head cleans are a quite needless waste of money.

If I knew how to extract and replace the firmware I'd have a go at editing it.

Send
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:31 AM   #3

I certainly hope someone does that! change the firmware! yeah i definitely agree that epson does it for profit as well. there's no need for a head clean everytime we select a different type of paper or change from cd to paper printing! I don't think my canon pixma did that many head cleans and a set of ink tanks would last me quite a long while! and here, with the epson, i've thrown out about 300ml of waste ink already!
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote