Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:23 AM   #1

Default HP 722 Versus HP 7150/7350

Got a Minolta F100 in March based on comments I read here. I am amazed by the images produced on my Sony Trinitron monitor. The color is excellent. I am printing on an HP 722 (three color cartridge) with Kodak Ultima high gloss paper. The prints are quite good. This printer was, in it's day, the next best thing to the "near photographic" printers as you could get. I use Photoshop Elements 2 for editing, sizing etc.

I am considering adding a new printer just for photo printing. I will still use the 722 for all else. How much improvement in glossy photos will I get with the HP 7150/7350 with Photoret IV? or the 7550 "7 color" which appears to be 6 color plus black.

In considering the Canon printers as dicussed on this forum, I am somewhat confused and not comfortable trying to choose.

Any comments comparing the 722 and 7350 would be appreciated.

Dick Weaver
RGWeave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:31 AM   #2

hp is going to be releasing an 8 color printer. Steve had this insert about the printer:
"Photosmart 7960 photo printer - 8-ink color printing, new HP 59 gray photo inkjet print cartridge - stunning color and black and white prints, 2.5" color LCD, print directly from CF, MMC, SD, SM, MS and xD cards, borderless up to 8.5 x 11". $299 street price. "
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:34 AM   #3

Like they don;t rip us enough, now they make printers with 8 cartridges...
Anyone guessing how much each will cost?

More seriously is that really necessary???
Hammerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4

Actually, it uses 4 cartridges. One is all black, another is a 3-color CMY (cyan, magenta, yellow), yet another is also a 3-color but light CMY, and another is 3 shades of light black/gray. You change out the black tank for the gray when printing photos; the printer will combine all of the colors to make black.

Steve's review of the HP printer is at: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/hp7960.html
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:51 PM   #5

But what will I see with a 7350 or the 8 color printer compared to my 722? Will I see the difference and shout WHOOPEEE? Or will I wonder why I spent all this money and have to explain it to the Mrs?

Dick
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWeave
But what will I see with a 7350 or the 8 color printer compared to my 722? Will I see the difference and shout WHOOPEEE? Or will I wonder why I spent all this money and have to explain it to the Mrs?

Dick
Considering the hp722 age and photo abilities I'd actually say that I noticed a huge difference between it and just about any printer on the shelf currently as of today. The only thing is keep your 722 around for text purposes as the printing costs on that printer are extremly low on black and white due to the ink tank it uses.

The recent models like the 7350 or the 8 color printer will actually blow your mind as far as photoquality goes. In fact your printing speeds will also take a huge step foreward as you will actually be able to make a full size print in under 5 min instead of spending a good 15min waiting for a full page. Also with the 8 color printer you have the extra capabiltiy of doing borderless printing which makes picture look like they came from the lab.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:18 AM   #7

Gregerson,

Just to be sure, my understanding is that you had made gloss prints with a 722, then with a newer model so that you had a direct comparison. Is this correct?

I am partial to HP peripherals, and it sounds like it would be a good choice for photos. Yes, I intend to keep my 722 to use for everything else. It is VERY stingy using ink.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:14 AM   #8

Yeah I actually have a 720c which is exactly the same printer just one is an east coast version and the other is West coast. I about 3 years ago bought an Epson 980 which actually is more effecient on ink than the HP 720 is. It produced pictures ten times better than the 720 and made them in about 1/4 of the time not to mention I had a lot more paper to choose from. Back then Epson was the complete leader in photos. It still is in some respects. However HP printers recently have been getting significantly better. Thier photos are more than good enough to post or enter into a photo contest. The speeds are much much better than the old days printers. The only problem nowdays is the ink costs more than it did in the past thus we end up spending more on black ink text printing but other than that its a good time to upgrade your printer as the one you have now is about 4 steps behind the current market as far as photo quality goes.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote