Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:11 AM   #1
cnr

Default Does 'borderless printing' mean smaller paper?

Hello, I'm about to buy a Canon i950 and was hoping someone could answer a question. What exactly is 'bordlerless printing'? Does it just mean printing on smaller paper? I want to get good quality paper and Canon has 'borderless' paper in 4x6 and 5x7 (and also photo 'cards' in 4x6??). But couldnt I just print 3 4x6 on an 8x11 sheet and cut them - and save $?

Also, does anyone know if Canons 'Photo Paper Pro' is glossy or not? Its supposed to be their best paper, but I prefer a matte finish.

Thanks!
cnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:47 AM   #2

A 4x6 or 5x7 sheet of paper is printed fully to the edge without having to tear off perforations like on the photo cards. The end result of a perforated sheet is still 4x6, but who wants the extra step. You could, however, use the Easy Photo Print software that comes with the printer and print 4 pictures per page. They will be about 4.25x5.5 each, but you will get your full use of the sheet of paper. And at about $.90 a sheet, I want the most out of it. You can get 10 packs (a total of 200 sheets) of 4x6 Photo Paper Pro for $55 from buy.com. I have found also that I can easlity print wallet sized prints by printing 2 images per sheet of 4x6 paper.

The Photo Paper Pro is a glossy finish. I have used the Canon Matte Paper and was suprised that I liked it as well as the glossy papers; I generally do not care for matte finishes.. It is 50 sheets for about $10
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:56 PM   #3
cnr

Thanks for the info. That software will come in handy as I too want to fully use paper. And 4.25x5.5 is actually very close to the original image size/retio of 3x4, so there wont be much cropping required.

But I guess printing to put in a frame will need some work, since they have to be 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10. ..
cnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:04 PM   #4

If all else fails, you could buy a thick cardstock and make a custom mat overlay with an Exacto blade or center-mount the picture on the stock after some trimming down of the 4.25x5.5 to fit a 4x6 frame.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote