Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:27 PM   #1

Hi there
My lovely Canon Pixma ip5200 now won't print in B&W. I've checked all settings, ink cartridges are brand new, but it just prints a very sepia/reddish version of B&W. I've used Hue/Saturation, Grayscale etc to produce a B&W image - works fine on screen. I've calibrated my monitor ........

I have an eMac, OSX 10.4.9 Tiger and Photoshop CS.

Any help very gratefully received!
Many thanks
Tony Cook
tonycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:22 PM   #2

Have you called Canon tech support? They'll fix it with you over the phone or send out a replacement unit. If you've printed our B&W's before and not now, it's gotta be something that they can do for you. They also have their instant exchange program.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:22 PM   #3

Have you called Canon tech support? They'll fix it with you over the phone or send out a replacement unit. If you've printed our B&W's before and not now, it's gotta be something that they can do for you. They also have their instant exchange program.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:40 AM   #4

Thank you! I'll give it a try
Tony
tonycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:41 AM   #5

just thought i would point out that most modern printers dont use the black ink to print black and white images.
they instead try to aproximate greyscale by mixing colour ink this will always end up with an off hue image. Even when the appoximation is very good the image will look different in different lighting than if only black ink was used.

My epson photo 900's only redeeming feature was its ability to print using onlyt the black ink im sure others can do this. I know the epson r220 cant use only the black ink to print b&w images.
ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:11 AM   #6

ok it seems i have an anoying habit of making bold statements and then setting out to prove myself wrong.

I have achieved on my ip4200 what i thought before was impossible.

I am not certain why but if you select normal paper and check the greyscale option along and set quality to high, the printed image will be printed soley with black ink and not approximated with colour.

i think using these settings means that the pigment black head is being used i am however using CIS with dye based ink which might have improved its photo printing capapbilitys but if your using pigment blakc ink it migh be worth a try anyways.

I have not yet tested my ip8500 to see if it can also print only using black ink but i will try and report my findings shortly.
ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote