Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:04 AM   #1

Default Printer Help???

Hey this is a great site, really good info. and knowledgeable people. I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions, I'm looking to buy a high quality photo printer, and last month I was reading another web site and they said hold off there's a 'new' printer coming out August 18th and you need to wait and see it. Well that site is no longer up! So does anyone know of this new printer that just recently debuted? I've been looking at the Canon I950, Epson Stylus Photo 960 and just found the HP Photosmart 7960. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $300-$400. Out of these or if I'm leaving an obvious new printer out which would you recommend based on pure photo print quality?

Thanks for any help and insight.
jreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:53 AM   #2

:P Welcome to the great world of electronics :P

There is always something just comming out, happens every few weeks(or days). Generally, I feal if you can buy it in a store it is already obsolete.

Maybe worse are rummors started by the wishfull, you never know what is real until it is announced by the manfacturer.

So the best advice I can offer, is to figure out what your requirements are. Then find the printer/camera/whatever that matches them closely and take the plunge.

If you keep waiting for the latest to come out you will save a lot of $$ as you will never actually buy anything :lol:

Out of the printers you selected they are all good, the Canons tend to be quite a bit faster.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:55 PM   #3

jreed

I am with Peter on this. All the printers are great printers that you have mentioned and should have great prints from all. Another thing you might want to think about is the sizes that you want to print, if this will be a dedicated photo printer, types of images (color, BW) and the types of paper that you want. These are all factors to look at.

The printer that they might have been talking about is the new HP, as that is new photo printer to just hit the market. Also, HP will have a 13x19 photo printer coming out soon with a suggested retail of around $400 US. I was able to get my Canon I9100 for just a little more than that, and have been very happy with its quality.
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4

I happen to love my i9100 more since I downloaded one of the sample images from the Canon's newest dSLR, the EOS Digital Rebel. I though the 13x19-inch prints from my Canon G3 were great, I was suprised how impressive the print from a 6.3 megapixel cameral is. I have to speak very carefully; angry wife ready to kill upon mention of a new camera since I have only had my G3 since February.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:50 AM   #5

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I was unaware of the I9100, after reading the review I'm very impressed, I thought that 13x19 format printers were out of my range but this new one is very reasonably priced! I was going by the Epson 2200 price I guess. I'm going to wait and see how that new HP 13x19 that was mentioned compares, but I'm most likely going with the I9100. So based on the print resolution the I9100 is higher that the Epson 2200 correct? Does anyone know of any comparisons btw the two?

Thanks again your information really cleared up my choices!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:03 AM   #6

Yes, it is true that the i9100 has a higher print resolution and is considerably speedier than the Epson 2200 due to that fact. But on the other hand, the Epson has a longer print longevity when properly cared for, supports a page length of 44-inches max (Canon is 24-inches). Both printers support the EXIF Print standard, while the Epson also supports it own Print Image Matching technology when used with a PIM-enabled camera. Most cameras on the market today do support the EXIF Print (Exif 2.2) standard.

So far with my i9100, I have printed 5 13x19, 15 8.5x11, and 50 4x6 full bleed prints, and i just now am getting the notifications that my Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan are out. I can coax a few more prints out of it though. On the Canon i and s-series printers I have found that if just after a print job you are getting notified of an empty tank, if you turn the printer off and let them sit a day or so, enough ink will have moved down through the foam to allow additional prints. This does not work if you are in the middle of a print job; the printer will stop and ask you to change the tank, but then will resume printing.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:20 AM   #7

Thanks dcrawley,

That's just what I was needing to know. I'm sold!