Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:24 PM   #1

What I really want to do is figure out why I get black yuck across the bottom and on the bottom right corner of all 4x6 photos I print. I'm not having problems printing out anything on 8.5x11 regular printer paper.

I've tried the Canon Maintenance process and that's not touching this problem. Can I take the printer apart and clean it by hand? Is this what's needed? I read something about an ink overflow reservoir and wonder if that's the problem. Can I clean this thing out myself or do I need to take it to someone? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but if the instructions for this kind of cleaning exist I can't find them.

Any and all help gratefully appreciated. P
greendragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:24 PM   #2
Administrator

I moved your thread to our Photo Inkjet Forum where you should be able to get some suggestions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:13 PM   #3

Check if the paper tends to curl upward as the end passes through the print head path.

If that's it, your paper may be a bit old or you might try another brand.

Not being kept totally dry will also cause the paper to curl — when you open a pack, try to keep it as airtight as possible.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:35 AM   #4

I hoped paper curl was the problem, but alas it was not. Thanks for the suggestion. P
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:27 PM   #5

I still think the problem is the end of the paper rising and contacting the heads — check the paper path carefully for anything that might cause it.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:11 PM   #6

Have done and redone that. Not the problem. It's a pain in the tuccas.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

I still think it's to do with the paper feed — as you probably know, the black stains are most likely to be a mixture of all the inks, and to my mind they can only be caused by the heads either contacting the paper or coming near enough to it for the residual ink on their surface to transfer to the paper.

That you don't get the staining with full-size sheets tends to bear this out.

Since the flying height of the heads remains constant throughout the print process (at least, it does on all printers I've worked on to date — which doesn't include any recent Canons, I must admit...) the only thing that can move must be the paper.

Is there any way you can raise the heads (adjustment for paper thickness?)

You might also try feeding the paper on its long edge and printing in landscape mode.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:33 PM   #8

I will look at it again but I've used this same size and type of paper right along and it's only started doing this recently. I've tried paper from two different sources, same problem. I think there's a bunch of guck under the printheads that needs to be cleaned off and the maintenance program cleaning isn't sufficient. It may only be impacting the photo paper because it's a bit stiffer, but regardless, the guck needs cleaned out.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:35 PM   #9

To clean under the heads, cut some strips of lint-free cloth, wet them with a ammonia-based window cleaner (blue Windex or similar), lay them along the print path, move the carriage over the strip (if you can't release it to move by hand, turn the printer on and when the carriage moves off the park position switch off at the wall), pick up each end of the strip and do the obvious.

Repeat as necessary.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:02 PM   #10

Obvious it is than. Thanks