Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Spray Protector for Inkjet Photos

Does anyone know anything about the spray being offered at the following site. They make it sound like photos printed off all inkjet printers will behave as though printed with archival inks.

http://www.einks.net/print_guard.html
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2003, 5:14 PM   #2
wjl

Default Haven't heard anything about this but it seem expensive

Haven't heard anything about this but it seems a little expensive. I have been trying Krylon #1305 UV Protector which is $4.99 / can. My only complaint is that it is acrylic so it puts a rough finish on the print (even if it is glossy) from the smooth finish of the glossy paper. I don't really know how well it protects but some paper companies claim it will increase print life of dye based ink prints by as much as 24+ years.

I think this is one area where we just don't know how long inkjet prints will really hold up and only have the accelarated testing methods to give us some idea which may or may not be all that accurate. I store all my photos in closed albums with acid free sheets or under glass in frames. Is that a good storage method, I can't really say because there is so much conflicting data on this subject. I store all my images on CD rom and hopefully they will out last any print so a photo can be re-printed years from now if needed.

What people need to remember is that prints made from film fade also over time and I have photos from 10 years ago that are not so good any more. I have seen that uncoated inkjets will last between 7-10 years if stored properly so that seems kind of close to me. I still will digital over film any day and that includes printing them myself.

WJL
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote