Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:51 PM   #1

Default HP Printers <rant>

Alright, I own a HP Deskjet 932 and have loved it up until now.

Because I am struggling in life and can not afford to purchase a new colour cartridge for it I though i would do some black and white printing. What did I find out?

When you select any type of Photo paper (be it HP's line or just 'Other Photo Paper') it will not allow you to only use the black cartridge for Grayscale or just Black printing. Which I think is nuts.

I know that when you do black printing if you look closely you can see the 3 colours that make up the black plus black itself.

Now why am I pi**ed off? On 'Plain Paper' setting I can select the 'Black cartridge' only option and do decent prints with that. So why the heck can I not select just the black cartridge to do just black and white (or even grayscale) printing? I've wasted 5 sheets of the HP Premium Plus Photo Paper and it has yellow on it (all my colour cartridge has left)

Do the Canon line of printers do this too? I'm disappointed with HP printers currently and will think twice about selling them to my customers who wish do do photos :P

&lt;/rant>
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2003, 1:32 PM   #2

What a bummer for you! The later HP machines will let you do what you want. I have the psc2115 (got the 5550 printer mechanicals) and I can print B&W photos on highest setting / premium photo paper with the option to use black cartridge only (which I do). so, don't give up on them yet - at least the print heads don't block and cost a fortune to replace.
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 3:29 PM   #3

The earlier Hp printers did that because of the dropplet sizes on the black ink tank were way to large to print out a decent photo with on photo paper. Also the black ink tank only prints at 600dpi.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote