Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:35 AM   #1

So maybe I'm using the wrong printer, and maybe someone could suggest a better one for my purposes that will match my wife's photography needs.

I have a HP Photosmart Series 3100. I know it is probably bottom of the barrel Photosmarts, but it would do the trick if I can figure out how to make it work.

I use it for my wife's photos. It works OK as she's not a professional, we don't need prints to look exact or anything - and it does all-right for photos. But I need it to color match specific colors.

For a test, I'm using a Pantone Color guide, and I use Photoshop to generate the pantone colors. I have tried to print them out with all types of settings and I can get some colors to match quite well while other colors don't match. So I went out and bought a Print Fix Pro from Colorvision to try to get better results out of my little printer. I figured even if the printer wasn't great, at least I could use the PFPro on a better printer (and my color laser I use as well).

So I built an ICM profile with PFPro, and now I can't get the stupid HP software to use the profile! I can set it as the default profile under Window's control panel printer properties (color management tab), but when I go to print from an application, if I choose "ICM" under the color tab in the printer's page setup properties, I cannot choose the profile I made - it always defaults to sRGB color space.

I did try to print with Photoshop's Print w/Preview (have Pshop manage colors and use the profile I selected) and set my printer to application managed color, but the results were very poor - worse than the profiles that come with the printer itself.

Any suggestions here? I'm at a loss! If someone can recommend an injket that will do both good color matching (critical!) and good digital camera prints, for $350 or less, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance,

Keith
analog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:02 AM   #2

Keith,

Start at the beginning. Did you turn off all the settings in the printer driver, ICM,etc.? You should have done this for making the profile also.

If you did not, then you end up double profiling your file at print time compounding an error. This would make the PFPro profile wrong and would really mess up the print in PS.

With all settings turned off, make the print to profile, then in PS when you select profile that PFPro made and again with all the printer settings turned off, all should work okay.
specifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:00 AM   #3

I did turn color to application managed from the printer settings when printing from an application, but I probably did not go into the properties of from the control panel area. I don't know if they make a lick of difference anyway. There is no way to turn those "off" from that spot. You can either have windows manage it or you can select one of the profiles in the list.
analog999 is offline   Reply With Quote