Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:40 PM   #1

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me out. I have tried several times to print a B&W print with my i900d printer. Each time the print has a magenta cast to it. I have used both photoshop and canon ez photo print with and gotten the same results.

In the printer settings I have set it to gray-scale as well as tried to turn down the magenta ink out put itself, all with no luck and similar results in the print

The Picture on the monitor looks fine and the print with an older HP printer comes out fair with no tint.

Any advise as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:47 PM   #2

1st make sure you convert your image to grayscale in your photo processor (make sure to bump the contrast and adjust the curves). Set you printer to grayscale & don't forget to dbl check your ink cartridges & make sure they are in the correct slots (it happens).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Hi Kalypso,

I double checked all my settings and my process for converting to b/w. and all seems to be in order. still got the same results.

i have heard through the grapevine that some black inks have a bit of "color tone" in them. could this bethe case here?

(i have no issues printing full color)

Mugmar

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:11 AM   #4

When printing text, only the black ink is used. When printing photos, the black is used only on the darkest tones, with the lighter grays being produced by a mixture of the colored inks - if the inks aren't perfectly balanced, you will get a color cast in the lmid-tones. This is why some of the high end pigment printers have 2 intermediate gray inks just to print B&W.

You can improve the situation by adjusting the color sliders in the printer driver, by using OEM inks if you are using 3rd party inks, or by buying a custom printer profile for your ink/paper/printer combination.
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote