Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 4, 2003, 3:59 PM   #1

Default roller lines on Epson 2200

Apparently the web site had some probelm and lost a few days of posts. I even had to re-register. So I will post this again (for those who think this seems like de ja vu)

1)Epson 2200 leaves roller lines on many / most of my prints. I have cleaned the rollers, ran the trouble shooting guide, use recommended Epson papers, on best quality to allow for time for ink to dry. I can get it to stop if a hold a thin sheet of paper between the roller and my print, but I am not going to stand there while I print. It doesn't happen on every print, but once the lines sart, they continue. Any suggestions? Ideas on why it happens.

2) Prints seem dull. Using premium luster paper. I plan on color matching my screen with the printer soon, but seem decidedly not vibrant without any screen changes.

Thanks for any help. :?
Pixel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:06 PM   #2

your best bet is to call up epson and get a new one because its a manufacture defect. You can also return it to the store you bought it from.

I've seen it from time to time and the best fix is to replace the printer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:39 AM   #3

I have this problem with mine and Epson said, essentially "Too bad, it's a design flaw, not a manufacturing flaw, and you just have to live with it".

Has anyone here successfully returned one and got one that works properly?

Jane W
Jane W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:36 AM   #4

Hum, somthing not right there.
(epson admiting to a design flaw is most unusual, most manfacturers will try find a way to put the blame on the user first )

My 2200 is working flawlessly on epson papers including the fine-art velvet paper that is very thick, and has to be fed in through the straight through path as it won't bend, as does the arches coldpress canvas which also seems to work fine.

It would not print right on Ilford or HP papers I tried to use, the ink would not penetrate and it just smeared off them.

I don't think they would be able sell a printer if it had a know design defect like that. More than likely I'd guess it is a bad unit, and the person you contacted just did not want to bother handeling it.

The prints being dull is worring too, are you using the rignt ICC profile? If so I'd suspect another problem with that particular unit.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 2:21 PM   #5

The problem with mine is the rollers scratch the paper. Matte papers usually work fine, but not Epson photo papers. The rollers scrape a fine line of ink right off, leaving a white line. I bought the printer "reconditioned" directly from Epson. Now I wonder if they palmed off a bad printer on me that someone else returned because of this problem with it. The warantee was only for 30 days, as I recall--I'll check it, but I've had the printer for a couple months, now.

Jane W
Old Nov 7, 2003, 8:46 AM   #6

WAHOO! After reading and posting here I decided to call Epson again. This time I first called the toll-free number listed on my invoice and was referred to a tech support toll number by a very helpful woman who assured me that the problem would be remedied.
Last time I called a tech support toll number given to me by an Epson representative via email, which is not the same # that I called this time.
THIS time I was told that OF COURSE they will replace the printer IMMEDIATELY. The new one will arrive within 3 days and will come with instructions for returning the bad one--all at NO cost to me! Wow, what a difference! I can hardly wait!

Jane W
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:45 PM   #7

Excellent!
Hopefully you will get much better results with the replacement printer
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 1:00 AM   #8

Default epson roller wheel ink smear problem

Anyone wanting to purchase an item to fix the epson 2100 2200 roller ink smear problem (when using glossy and other non-epson papers) please check out http://www.customrecords.com/page9.html
kgutzke is offline   Reply With Quote