Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:11 PM   #1

Default Canon i850 vs Canon i950 Which one to go with?

Hi ya'll I'm looking for help deciding on which model Canon printer to go with, despite the big difference in price. i850 ( $199 cdn ) the i950 is ( $399 cdn ). I've read more reviews this past 2 months than I can count! "So many" different opinions out there, making it even harder to decide. I most recently read one issue about the i950 leaving a yellowish hue on pictures printed out on glossy paper. Seeing as I'm a person that prefers matte or semi-matte finished prints, can anyone tell me about the type of results achieved, by using non glossy photo papers? Also the name brands of non glossy paper used? I'm hopefull that knowing what kind of results others have gotten, will really help me make a final decision!

Thanxs very much for all feedback!
Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2003, 8:29 AM   #2

wait for canon i960 or i860 and canon's the new photo paper plus semi gloss
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:00 AM   #3

Default Re: Canon i850 vs Canon i950

thanxs Wayne123. Would you know if any of the aforementioned models have a replaceable head assembly?

:?:
Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:34 AM   #4

The canon i960 looks like a nice pritner but with all the additions to it compared to the i950, I'm afraid the price will suffer as well...
Hammerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:08 PM   #5

all of them have user-replaceable printheads, besides you mount it in the printer yourself during the set-up process.

the european versionof the i960 (the i965) is supposed to have a additional CD-printing module which will not be available in the US version - i960 (probably) - there it would then cost about 200 bucks, in Europe probably more...
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 4:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerjoe
The canon i960 looks like a nice pritner but with all the additions to it compared to the i950, I'm afraid the price will suffer as well...
The i960 lists for $199, $50 less than the i950.
CyberSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 4:25 PM   #7

Pepe, I bought the Canon i950 and when I compare my prints with commercial prints (same images), I ask (anyone interested) if they can tell which photograph came off my printer. No one can. I'm using HP Premium Plus glossy photo paper.

I chose this printer after recommendations from this forum.

Thanks guys. You didn't steer me wrong.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerjoe
The Cannon website actual says the retail price for the i960 is $199 and the i950 is $249. Hopefully this is true, they say the i960 will be availible in October. 8)
photofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:31 PM   #9

I'm just in the process of comparing these two printers (didn't know about the i960 until reading this so will go look at that).

However, here's my take so far, would welcome feedback:

1/ Canon's website deosn't recommend the i950 for any set of application criteria I can find.

2/ When asked, Canon do not have anything intelliegent to say on the difference between the printer quality, printer costs or on the operating costs.

3/ I have used the Canon (Europe) website to print samples on each of the printers. The image I used was TSS Test at http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/ The samples came back 6"x4".

The i950 sample appears to have much less detail on the tree/waterfall image, and on the straw hat.

The i850 sample has a blue hue and loss of contrast on the earth image. The green gradient apppear very uneven, whereas the i950 is more true to the electronic image.

Both images have lost the skin detail in the hands image, but I tend to think this is due to the compression to 6"x4".

There's a marked difference in the red on the t-shirt. Difficult to say which one is correct.

4/ As usual, it is depressing to see the US $ prices being discussed. Here in the UK we are being ripped-off with the same number in UK pounds, ie 1.6x too much. Canon have gone to great lengths to suppress imports from the US. :x

I was going to bite the bullet and buy the i950 despite the cost, but the loss of detail has put me off.

As said above, I would welcome comments and feedback on the above.

Thanks,
Simon.
sjc106 is offline   Reply With Quote