Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:53 PM   #1

Default Canon S500 ink costs

I bought my Canon S500 because several reports said that -

1. It produced excellent quality prints, and

2. It's ink costs were low and especially so because each colour comes in a separate cartridge.

It certainly makes nice prints, especially when used with Kodak Picture Software and the supplementary Kodak program called Kodak One Touch.

But it consumes ink at a prodigious rate, and the cartridges are horrendously expensive. A few more new sets of cartridges and I'll have spent more on ink than the printer cost.

Has anybody else found this? Or am I out to lunch and does the ink for other printers cost even more?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2002, 1:05 AM   #2
Administrator

That can be said of ALL the inkjet photo printers. The printer companies make their real money on the paper and ink so it is to be expected.

When you factor in all the costs and the convenience of printing your own -- it ain't bad at all. Priced any 8x10's at your local lab lately, you can make 'em cheaper with the S500.

Check on eBay, there's a guy over there selling Canon compatible ink tanks for a lot less than the real thing. I bought about $150 worth of them and have been using them in my S9000 without a hickup. The guy's user name is "abacus24-7" - go to <a href="http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/search_seller.html">eBay 's search page</a> and you'll find his auctions, he has all kinds of incredibly inexpensive ink tanks and carts for all makes.

-Steve

[Edited on 7-28-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:25 PM   #3

STEVE - Thanks for that link. I've never bought anything on e-Bay before, but this looks like a good deal.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote