Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:18 PM   #1

My Canon iP3000 suddenly decided to print my 4x6 photos with banding across the dark areas. A nozzle check showed that half the 6C ink nozzles were clogged (literally the lower half of the head and not random nozzles across the head). Cleaning cycles and deep cleaning would not change it one iota. Because the heads are removable, I even risked damage to the nozzles by doing an aggressive manual cleaning. There was still no change. Canon support said the head is either still clogged or needs to be replaced. I just could not buy the idea that nozzles would not clog randomly and was considering buying a new print head since I believed mine to be damaged (electrical trouble causing half the nozzles to be inoperable). Wow are they expensive compared to the price of a new printer! Before giving up I used the service mode to print the EEPROM info. This told everything from black and color head temperatures to how many pages and of what type were ever printed on the printer. I was furious that the print head did not last longer. For some reason I decided to do an EEPROM initialization. This clears all the counters back to zero. Magically the head started working perfectly again. Not a single nozzle clogged! To clarify, when I started to do the service mode stuff, I printed both a service test print and a user test print that confirmed half the 6C nozzles were not working. I did not touch the heads, cartridges or even lift the cover during my service mode tinkering and afterward the heads printed perfectly (verified by both user and service mode nozzle tests). How many people purchased a new print head from Canon to replace a perfectly good one just because a counter inside the printer decided it was time to simulate clogged nozzles!

Miscellaneous info – according to my printer's EEPROM: my waste tank was at 27.5% and I had printed 322 pages with 191 borderless 4x6 on plus or pro + 25 on plain glossy. Of my 85 normal pages 9 were duplexed + I had printed 59 CDRs. You can see why I would have been upset with a bad print head with such little printing. Now it all shows zeros again and everything works like new (because the printer thinks it is new).
Mike357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:09 AM   #2

Mike357 thanks for the information on the print head.

Can you post a copy of your EEPROM information print before the reset?

I recently purchase a used iP3000 and still a little fuzzy on reading the eeprom info print.

By ron350 at 2008-02-18
Ron350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:26 AM   #3

This is where I got my information. I will look for my original printout this evening.
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:24 PM   #4

Mike thanks for the help.

Just trying to figure out the history of my iP3000. When I purchased this used printer the black cart was empty and the 3 color carts were almost full.

OK if I am reading this correctly, since 8/6/06 my printer has printed 97 pages from the top Auto Sheet Feeder and 322 pages from the bottom cassette?

Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:48 PM   #5

You're welcome.

That's the way I read it also. It looks like it has not been used very hard at all. You can compare that to Canon's estimated life span for the iP3000 here…

Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:29 AM   #6

Mike thanks that helped.

Found the iP3000- iP4000 service manual here.

http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/Canon_IP4000.htm

Found more good iP3000-iP4000 information at these two forums.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:21 AM   #7

How do i perform an EEPROM initialization on the Canon IP3000?

Thanks
pricewise987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8

Hello Mike

I have got the same problem as you had. Where do you go to get into the service mode to print EEPROM. Also where do you reset the EEPROM.

Looked everywhere but cannot find

Regards

Mick
motormickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:04 PM   #9

EEPROM initialization

1. Turn off printer
2. Hold down Resume button and press Power button.
3. Keep holding down Power button and let Resume button go.
4. Press Resume button 2 times then let BOTH buttons go.
5. Green lights will flash and then stop blinking.
6. When green lights are solid, press the Resume button 3 times.
7. Press the Power button and the printer should turn off, if not, press the Power button once more.
8. Your printer should respond as normal.

Let me know how you get on
pricewise987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:26 AM   #10

Those printheads do clog, and they do burn out. The expected life is about 10 cartridge changes when you do the math. 20 is realistic.

My experience was similar on my ip3000, I didn't print for a while and certain nozzles wouldn't print, IIRC it was cyan.

Amazon lists the printhead at $50 I don't know your area.

A replacement print would be $100 with cd printing. Once you take the cost of ink into account, well, it's about equal. However, when you take the ease of refilling the ip3000 bci-3e / bci-6 tanks, and the availalblity of aftermarket tanks, well, it makes sense to keep it in service presuming you can't clean the head.

On another note, the ip4600 decreased the volume and yield of the tanks, and increased the cost per page.

The mp530 was onsale on buy.com for $105, which is akin to the older ip4200 printer. Not as large a head as the ip4300, and doesn't have the extra medium sized nozzles the ip4500 does, but it is at least an improvement to your model.

The canon store offers a referbished ip4200 for $35 + shipping

IGExpandingPanda is offline   Reply With Quote