Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1

I have had my photo 1400 and a CIS system from ink.supply.hk for about 1 week, and so far am very happy with both the printer and the CIS. I'd be happy to discuss any issues or questions people may have about them. Bear in mind that I am a professional musician, not a photographer, and would most likely be of little help to anyone wanting detailed technical help with anything relateing to photography. There is at least 1 issue I discovered and solved to my satisfaction relating to the cover of the cartrage carriage and installation of a CIS.
Wayne Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:39 PM   #2

Wayne,

Am doing the same thing.

What did you do about the cartridge hatch cover? What did you do to remove the cover? Did you have to "break" the cover hinge pin receptor on the cartridge box? Does the cover even have to be removed to use the CIS system from Inkjetfly?

I ordered the Inkjetfly Big Foot with the dye ink. Leo there said you could use pigment ink with this printer. How do you feel about that?

Thank you,

Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:18 PM   #3

Yes, I did have to sort of break the cover. The left side comes out easily, but the right was designed to be unremovable. Here's what I did. First I got the left side free. I found that with a small flat head screwdriver, I was able to move the right side pin out a bit. Not much. I decided tohave a friend holdthe cover pried out and cut the pin. I got lucky and found a hot knife, designed for craft work. I was able to cut through the pin quickly and neatly. With the lid held to the left, I was able to leave enought of the right side pin that I think I could put it back securely. Just have to be careful not to scratch it up, but I think it is the least obvious option, if I wanted to put it back. (not that I ever want to!) Maybe later I'll post some pictures.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:24 PM   #4

Thanks Wayne.

I was looking at the same type solution. Found same thing as you did.

Waiting for my CIS to arrive and to hook it up. I Like the output from thisprinter.
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:48 PM   #5

Didja get your CIS yet? How's it working? BTW, I noticed you asked about pigment ink in this. I'm afraid I don't know much about the value of one or the other. I've used an r300, which I guess uses pigment ink. Always happy with it!

One other thing, I tried to start a thread regarding waste ink on the photo 1400. With the r300 I did the mod where you route the waste ink tube out the back of the printer. I assume this one will need something similar at some point. You know anything about that stuff?

Wayne
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:06 AM   #6

Wayne Martz wrote:
Quote:
Didja get your CIS yet? How's it working? BTW, I noticed you asked about pigment ink in this. I'm afraid I don't know much about the value of one or the other. I've used an r300, which I guess uses pigment ink. Always happy with it!
The R300 use dye ink actually... Just thought I'd better correct you before you bought more and clogged it silly

Quote:
One other thing, I tried to start a thread regarding waste ink on the photo 1400. With the r300 I did the mod where you route the waste ink tube out the back of the printer. I assume this one will need something similar at some point. You know anything about that stuff?
This is something I'm trying to find out about but lack of funds means I don't have the capital to invest in a 1400 to take it apart to find out. Chances are though it's going to be similar to the R1800 or R2400. I'm compiling all the resources I can on waste ink tanks here so if you figure it out please take some pictures and write up a little guide... it'll be invaluable for other folks looking to do the same thing.

Cheers.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:11 AM   #7

Gritty wrote:
Quote:
I ordered the Inkjetfly Big Foot with the dye ink. Leo there said you could use pigment ink with this printer. How do you feel about that?
Missed this earlier... My advice would be not to go with pigment.. If the printer is designed to use dyebase inks (which this one is) your printhead is going to suffer using pigments instead.

There are supposedly some pigment formulations that can be used but the bottom line is that dyebase has little or no particulates whereas pigments are particulate based.

Given the cost of the printer, if you really want to use pigment inks, sell it and get a printer that's designed for the job rather than risk it and end up with a large paperweight. :?
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:59 PM   #8

pigment ink is mostly used for shirts, and really heavy duty paper. If your printing on glossy or matte the dye is fine. and youll eventually clog the heads if your printing with pigment and its a bitch to clean trust me. if you want to make shirts they sell transfer sheets for dye based printers. the price doesnt always mean quality theres different tools for different jobs! hope this was helpful, KEEP SHOOTING!
jcrawford77 is offline   Reply With Quote