Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 16, 2003, 4:24 PM   #1

Default Problems with new HP 7960

Just got a new 7960 and am not having good results, although I have only printed 5 or 6 - 4 x 6 photos in "best" mode. The prints have banding (running the short way) in the lighter colors, particularly skin tones.

Also, the prints seem washed out and not sharp, although I have printed the same pictures on a variety of printers and they are very sharp. As an axamplt, the HP 7560 blows away the new 7960. All prints were made directly from memory card.

Any similar experience or suggestions.
olkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:18 PM   #2

When first printing on my 7960 I had the same result - I HAD FORGOTTEN TO TAKE OFF THE PROTECTIVE TAPE ON the 57 cartridge :!: Oh well.

My problem - Computer can not read CompactFlash card from any of several different programs, but I can print from card, and print from Computer (from those same programs)- excellent Photo's

Any Ideas?
Dshonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3

Default Problems with HP 7960

I have a 3 year old $100 Epson Stylus Photo 780 printer. The heads clog often, and it's a bit loud, and the print monitor software is buggy under Windows 2000/XP, but once the ink is flowing, it prints beautiful pictures. For $19 for a cartridge that will last for 40-60 prints, plus paper that is practically bulletproof for $13 for 100 sheets, I can't seem to justify replacing it. However, I thought I would give the HP 7960 a try.

Set up was easy, and the software is excellent, and so are the other features (camera disk readers, prints from the proof sheets, etc). When I tried printing 4 X 6 photos on older HP Premium photo paper, the leading edge of 4 of the 5 pictures I printed with it looked awful. I then opened the sample paper pack, and loaded HP's newest 4 X 6 sheets, and the pictures are awesome. I would say slightly (but barely) better than my Epson.

Ok, this paper is 2-3 times the cost of the Epson, plus to replace the color cartrigdes is $50. Quite a bit more than the Epson. Maybe these cartridges will last longer, but from the 20 or so pages and photos I printed, I don't think so. But for the convenience of using this sweet machine, I thought I would keep it.

Then my 3 year old daughter bounced her sippy cup of water on my desk, and 3 tiny drops of water landed on one of the pictures. The photo stained instantly. I then touched the picture with a bit of tap water on my finger, and the same thing happenned. I tried the water test on an Epson picture, and there was no smearing at all.

I might be able to live with the high costs for the convenience of this machine if the pictures were durable, but with this kind of reaction to the slightest bit of water, how durable will these prints really be? I know HP is claiming 73 years, etc., but this experience rubbed me the wrong way. Plus my three year old loves to help me with everything, so until HP improves this aspect of their photo printers, it looks like I may go with another Epson, or maybe a Canon if I can get past all the fade issues. I have three year old Epson prints in frames around the house, and there is no fade in these that I can see.
AdamJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:37 PM   #4

Default Problems with HP7960

AdamJP,

I have an Epson R300 and print pics on their premium glossy paper with great results. Have not heard anyone tell of the fading/smearing of Epson prints. Glad to hear of your good results. I have also heard of HP 7960 owners having problem with track marks on prints. This steered me to the Epson R300. Stick with Epson.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:38 PM   #5

Default Problems with HP7960

AdamJP,

I have an Epson R300 and print pics on their premium glossy paper with great results. Have not heard anyone tell of the fading/smearing of Epson prints. Glad to hear of your good results. I have also heard of HP 7960 owners having problem with track marks on prints. This steered me to the Epson R300. Stick with Epson.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote