Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:21 AM   #1

I am looking for a new photo printer and would like the forums input pertaining to agood product. I was using a Canon i950 until recently (see prior post). I have looked at many different printers and none seam to compare to the color intensity,clarity and sharpness of the i950. Does any one use the Canon Pixma Pro9000? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would ike to keep in the $500 price range or less. The majority (95%) of our prints are 5x6 but the ability to plot larger formats would be a plus. We main give the photos to friends and family and my wife uses them in her scrapbooking for our three children and family trips.

Thanks everyone!
jllabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2

If you just want a printer that makes really good looking prints to give to family and friends, would an investment of around $35 appeal to you? I'm not kidding. Check out my thread on the Epson RX595 and the deal that is currently available. It won't do larger than 8.5" X 11", butit will fit probably 95% of your needs and it does a great job.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=40

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply... Was that supposed to be $130??? The best price I could fine was at newegg.com at $90. Also the customer reviews at newegg.com were not the best for this printer. I have considered the Epson Stylus R800 or 1400 but again I have not been able to find these models locally to try them out.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16828103207

I want a high quality printer that you cannot tell the difference between professional processing and home digital printing. For the past 5 years the i950 gave this to us and it was not until we began to look for a new printer that we realized this. That kind of reliability and quality is going to hard to find.

jllabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:56 PM   #4

Nope...$30, not $130. If you click on the link I gave you to my other thread, you'll see that there is a $70 rebate available (I explain how to get it in that other thread). I wasn't too sure about the printer either. But I thought, heck...for $30 I'm willing to give it a try. I am extremely happy with the results.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:13 PM   #5

Actually...I just saw that Buy.com is now charging something like $23 for shipping, so newegg would be the best palce to get it. It's just that they charge $6 more for their cheapest digital camera. So you would have a total investment of around $43 after rebate.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:55 PM   #6

There are several printers out there that will give you results at least as good as a photo lab. People tend to marek down the Epsons because of ink consumption (legitimate concern), but don't confuse this with the ability to make a great print. In a properly managed workflow, my R260's give me output that is better than any photo lab I have ever used, not to mention the amount of control I get to have over the final output. Could I get my 4x6 prints done cheaper? Yep, absolutely. Would they look as good? Nope. Any of the Epson printers that use Claria ink (R260,R280,R380,1400,RX595,RX680) will give you output at least as good as your i950 (not slighting the i950, it's still a good printer).
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:15 PM   #7

I love my Canon Pixma MP520 Photo All-in-One inkjet printer, received it for a couple of days for only $109

http://www.***************/searchdeal...864&ru=290

It letsme preview, scan, copy, and print photographs and documents with one easy machine.

This one works pretty darn fast especially if it is alreay warmed up. It starts printing before it is even done scanning. I was amazed because I figured out I could load envelopes in the back and the regular paper in the front and not have to reload the two depending on what I was doing! I could hardly believe my eyes!
Anyway, I love the printer.
caf120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:53 AM   #8

jllabs : I got the Canon i950 few years ago, after spend a lot of time and compare with others printer, in his category was the Canon i950. how you said...the color intensity,clarity and shapess is the best for this money. Until today, Iam lookin for a better printer in his type, and the canon is the winer. I donĀ“t will change this printer until I see something realy spetial. If not, you will spendpleanty money for the same results....But , if you need larger formats............ CANON !
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote