Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:08 AM   #1

Please can you help with what I hope is a simple problem? I ran out of black ink a few weeks ago and replaced the cartridge with an old cartridge that I found had enough ink to print quite a number of pages. This cartridge has now been completely used up, but I am unable to replace the ink as the printer refuses to release the cartridges that it believes are full.

I have lost my printer manual and came across your forum, which I hope might be able to help?

Many thanks and sorry for being such a dimwit!
Cazoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:59 PM   #2

Have you looked at all the information here yet?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...oType=Overview
Ron350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:05 AM   #3

Probably more to the point, have you read the manual? These printers are designed to allow such replacements.

For my R310, which should be the same, it's on Page 60 — Using The Printer's Control Panel Buttons —

"Press the 'maintenance' button, make sure 'Ink Cartridge Replacement' is selected and press the 'OK' button."

The carriage should now move to the replacement position.

If for some reason the printer doesn't respond to the command you may have a firmware error.

If so, turn the printer off and pull the power line for a few minutes (or switch off at the wall) — it doesn't hurt to disconnect the data cable as well.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:12 AM   #4

Thank you both. Problem solved.

Well..... It's now 10.50pm and I wish my problem was still solved. My black ink worked for a while (although it was pretty streaky) and then gave up. I've cleaned the print head several times, but black ink is still not coming through.

Any ideas?

Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:56 AM   #5

Cartridge not properly seated — air leak.

Faulty cartridge.

Cartridge not as full as you thought it was.

Breather sealing strip not removed or breather hole blocked.

Cartridge left out of printer too long — dried ink in feeder tube.

Carriage left in cartridge replacement position too long — dried ink in nozzles.

Something else I've not thought of.

If the problem persists, try a few drops of an ammonia-based glass cleaner on the head parking pads — leave overnight and run a clean or two.

At a pinch, the same fluid can be injected down the feeder spike — be careful, too much pressure here can crack a head = write off printer.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:44 PM   #6

Thanks for suggestions - problem seems to be with cartridge not printer. I was so happy with my new cheap ink, but may be it wasn't such a good buy after all. I'll buy some proper Epsom ink and see if that solves problem. If not, I'll have a go at your other ideas.

Thanks again