Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:15 PM   #1

I have just received the go ahead to set up a small business venture at our local "fishing/camping" Outdoor store.

I am in need of purchasing a high capacity output printer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might consider?

Also...does anyone have any ideas on where they could refer me to puchase printer paper/inks wholesale?

Thanks again for any imput and ideas.....
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:27 PM   #2

what size are you looking at printing??

im asking because the small home user printers are pretty unservicable and your option with these is just to throw them away when problem occurs

i have a hp designjet, it takes paper uptp 24 inch wide, the inks and heads are seperate so when a head dies u just pull out old one and pop in new one, its as easy as that, heads are not expensive, £10 of ebay

so they are fully servicable, you go online with it to hp website to run diagnostics etc

its a real work horse, im ever so happy with it

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks Gary,

For my business I will only be printing 4 x 6 and 5 x 7. I am torn because I do not have a huge budget...I could get one higher end dye-sub printer...but would need to invest in another CPU (which I really do not want to) OR, go with two highend "all in one" printers which I could then print direct from the memory card.

I like the two printer setup for back-up in case one goes down etc...but my consumables cost will be greater.

I will be taking photo's at two locations in the store...and I suspect at the one location I will need to be printing approx.three to four 4 x 6 prints every 5 minutes or so...so the printer doesn't necessarily have to be ultra-quick.

Just trying to sort through this....and get as much input as I can.

Thanks again for your response.
randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:49 AM   #4

hows this for what u want

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Photosmart-...sid=p1638.m122

seems ideal to me but dont know cost per print.

i only do big prints 24x36, for small ones i have them done online as cost is 4p.

that printer in the link is actualy quite smart, my invest in one

Gary

Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:13 PM   #5

just an update for you

i have bought an epson picturemate of ebay, its local, am waiting for email so i can go get it, anyway i looked into dye subs and they only seem to print at 360 dpi where as picturemate prints at 2400 dpi.

i was only £12.50 thats about $25 so its not much of a risk, u can get alithium ion battery for it so i can shoot and print anywhere, ink seems to be cheap and lasts 150 images.

i couldnt find a 5x7 printer like this , they all seem to be 6x4

oh its also bluetooth capable (with adapter, which i have) this means u can print direct from most mobile phones, which is a good idea

hope that may be of some help to you, am looking forward to picking it up, ill get some ink and a battery then

Gary
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:25 AM   #6

How do you think of Canon PIXMA MP470, it's only $68 at buy

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=204948064
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote