Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:26 PM   #21

Thanks, for this appetizing review. Very promising printer. I love those transparant inkt tank, smart move of Canon.
Steve, would it be possible to place a standard print scan with each printer review?

Some Epsons shrink every picture print a few mm, very nasty with technical prints. There is no software work around to solve this problem. Can any Canon user tell me how Canon behaves with exact size printing?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:58 AM   #22

I often find borderless prints to be slightly enlarged images. However, in Photshop Elements when borderless is selected in Page Setup, then in Print Preview you can zoom the photo to how you like.

Because the i950 is so FAST(dont have the new printer), if the print is the wrong size, you could adjust this zoom (a diagonal mouse drag that resizes the box containing the image), reprint and not have to wait too long at all to see the results.

These printers are WONDERFULLY fast I and I find myself printing a much higher volume of photos because there's no sitting around waiting factor. If the colors or size is wrong: in 45 seconds to 2 mins (size dependant) you have your new print.

UPDATE ON PAPER:

Sorry to go on about this, but all the great things about the i series printers become less positive if you gave someone a print who didn't protect it and found as fast as two weeks later that the prints are fading, the blacks turning to chocolate then orange etc etc.

The good news is I have gotten the Kodak paper to finally work: use the High Gloss Photo Film setting and the results are excellant!! The hard part about trying this paper is that KODAK'S RECOMMENDED SETTINGS ARE TOTALLY WRONG!!! Do NOT follow their settings, use High Gloss Photo Film setting instead, with no further adjustments.
This paper is resin coated, so once dry (its not instant drying like the Canon paper) the ink is protected with a coating that swells up over the ink. The result is you can give these photos away without being to concerned that people protect them properly.

The Canon papers REQUIRE you to put them in an album, under glass etc. (You'll be sorry if you don't!).

The Kodak premium paper I got to work looks as good as the Canon results, but not as glossy.

Believe me, once you experience this fading, I think you'll appreciate this information!

Apparently Ilford Classic Pearl is another great alternative.

(note: air fading does not occur in all areas (locations): it is dependant on what's in the air in your area, I guess!)
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:53 PM   #23

RobJK I find your experience with print fading versus Steves experience quite interesting. If climat plays a role, can you give us a hint which climate makes things worse?
Would air pollution also speed up fading?

Another thing I came across is print protection prays. Don't know if these are brand specific or work for any printer. Has any of you experience with such?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:27 PM   #24

Mathilde:

Its just something I want new i series users to be aware of.

1) these are AMAZING printers, speed and quality!

2) Beware of fading that MIGHT occur.

The papers mentioned gives us alternatives.

If you print on Canons papers, and you leave a print out in the air (unprotected) and 2 weeks to 4 months later and find it still looks good, then the atmosphere you in is not cause for concern. (Of course then there's no way to know if you send photos to friends what the resuls might be). The faded prints look a mess: not just fading but banding myseriously appears across some of the prints. It makes it look like it was printed from terrible printer, rather than one you'd show off. The prints become only good for the trash!

Most of the info I learned was from 5 months experience with the i950, and dpreview.com, steve's digicams, and photo-i.uk.

I don't know what it is in the air that causes it, but it is commonly referred to (and correctly referred to) as "gas fading". This is different from light fastness or light fading: it's the contact of the air on the print. One report shows Canon fading starting within two weeks in DARKNESS but exposed to air (in a drawer).

At dpreview some report no fading with unprotected prints, but most report fading. Some report noticable fading (differences, it might be a bit much to call it actual FADING: blacks turn orange or chocolate etc) in as fast as two weeks. My prints faded in 4 months or less, one of them was closer to the outside of the house and it faded in a matter of weeks. (Welcome to LA!!)

It just depends on your area it seems. But with alternative papers the good news is there is a way around it if you thing the photos will end up unprotected.

The good thing about Kodak working with these settings (actually it might need a touch more yellow) is it's easy to purchase, wereas as Ilford (for me) has tp be ordered in.
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 4:25 PM   #25

Hm brings me to an idea; I picked up example prints of several Canon printers this week. They represent 2 different type of cartridges. I will cut them in half, 1 half stored correctly and one part left out in the open.

Ofcourse making a scan now and a month later would also be an option one has a good scanner.
Old May 10, 2004, 5:09 PM   #26

Steve,

I love my canon i960, I have been printing my 8x10 face shot on 8.5 x 11 paper and have to cut it out. Can my i960 print on 8x10 paper so I don't have to cut out. I have over 200 pictures to print, cut them out is painful. I called canon and they said nothing I can do about it. Is that true?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Son Le
fsl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 12:27 AM   #27

:idea:I've been using Voltexx cartridges in my S820 for over a year now...no problems, no difference from Canon inks, great customer service...Johnny ($1.75 each)
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 12:31 AM   #28

Where did you find 8x10 paper? With Canon, you can use the custom setting and print borderless to any size paper, but I've never seen 8x10 paper here in Florida, we just print them on thje standard 8.5x11 and cut them or leave them that size...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 10:25 AM   #29

I got my 8x10 from Red River photo paper manufacturing in dallas. 214-637-0029. I love their paper. It is cheaper and at least equal or better paper then Canon. Please show me how to set my 960i so I can print on 8x10.

Thanks,

Son Le
fsl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:50 PM   #30

I'm thinking about picking this printer up along with the Canon A75, but what worries me is this fading image that you guys are talking about. I've never heard of this problem before, so, exactly how bad is it? Could somebody provide a picture of a picutre that's been "faded?" And, what do you mean by "unprotected?" Not in a frame?

EDIT: Also, I know that it uses 6 different color tanks, but, what concerns me is, what do you think the odds are that my local office supply store will actually carry all 6 of these tanks (If you've heard of them, would a store like Staples carry them?)?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote