Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:37 AM   #31

Oh yeah, I also heard that takes up a lot of ink and that it's pretty slow at printing text. What do you think about this?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:15 AM   #32

For people using the Canon i960, which ink seems to run out first? I'm asuming it's going to be the black just because of regular printing. I'd like to stock up on a few colors so I don't get caught without.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:13 PM   #33

I agree with RobK on the fading issue. Unfortunately
many of our images printer with the S9000 faded away
in a record short time, we have to print them again.
See the following example:

http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2...2_s9000_fading

To this day Canon did not even looked at these
examples despite my repeated protests about it.
They claim that only the Photo Paper Pro is the
durable paper and that the other papers does
warranty any specific degree of fading resistance.

I think that the absence of any fading results
of Canon at Wilhelm pages should be a warning
enough. We try to return the printer, we speak
in Dec. with Consumer Rights lawyer. I will keep
you posted.

My demand is that Canon prints "FADES AWAY in
12 MONTHS with following Canon papers and with the
genuine BCI-6 ink" The ink and the paper just
way too much to be allowed to vanish in such
short time.
ThomasH_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:06 PM   #34

Several people have commented in these forums about quality printing on glossy paper coming out very blue. I had the same problem.

What worked for me was to update the drivers from version 1.00 that came on the CD to version 1.73 from the Canon Site.

I have found that the Canon cartidges from Data Bazar work fine.

I found an interesting comparison of Canon inks with "compatible" inks at www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

I have enough cartridges for a while, but might give that suggestion a try next year. I will have bought my i960 again and more with Canon cartriges by then:sad:.

BBW
bigbadwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:05 PM   #35

Although the last post is a few months old I figured I'd still comment on the INK from databazar.com

Whoever thinks or thought this was the cheapest around I'd say you have not been looking very hard. So far I found that databazar is on average $2-$3 more then amazon.com and $3-$4 more then provantage.com.

My question though really is how are the COMPATIBLE inks? I mean it seems then are 50% to 80% cheaper over canon brand but are they any good? Will they screw up the printer?

I have a i9900 and take picture with a canon D20and I love my camera and printer it's just the ink seems to run out of it like it's going out of style and at about $10 a ink cartridge ($80 for all of them) it gets very expensive to print pictures. It's cheaper to just send them to shutterfly or something and have them print them and get not only cheaper pictures but better looking pictures because of the true photo printing process.

Anyways this looks like a great site gonna search it for more info on BCI-6 ink.
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:24 AM   #36

I could not find where you addressed how the Canon 960 feeds different kinds of paper. I just bought an Epson R800 and am having a horrible time with it feeding ordinary Avery note card paper. I am seriously considering purchasing a Canon, but would like some feedback as to its capabilities or limitations in feeding and printing paper other than photo paper.

Thanks

Ann
earaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:31 AM   #37

MrSmoofy:

This site has some information on inks you will find interesting.

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:53 AM   #38

what is a good canon replacement to the i960? i like my i960 but lately have been getting bluish/purple tints on the photos i print. im looking at getting another canon.
one028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:09 PM   #39

one028 wrote:
Quote:
what is a good canon replacement to the i960? i like my i960 but lately have been getting bluish/purple tints on the photos i print. im looking at getting another canon.
Other than the ip8500, i'm not aware of anything that is comparable to the i900D/ i960. The i960 is very good, very fast, and very quiet Keep in mind that this was a $300/$400 printer in 2003 and while technicaly an older model has points over the current ip6000 not to speak of the larger head. You bought well, so well that you should consider replacing it with another one.

I had $200 in my pocket and had to replace the i960, and I didn't need CD printing, i'd get another i960.

I'm aware you have yours under an extended warranty... I don't know the details of your warranty... i.e. if it would qualify you to get a free ip8500. Nor do I know if you would prefer to bargen hunt for a sub $100 i960 to replace your i960 and get the best printer you can from compusa and sell it and in all honesty say "I got my old printer replaced, but I like my old printer, buy my new printer". http://www.froogle.com lists one company that still has i960 under $100, otherwise $200 is still a fair price for it.

This might change next year. But as of this very moment you have a very decent photo printer that is very good for the sub $300 class.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote