Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 21, 2003, 6:38 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Canon i960 review posted

Just posted the i960 review -- awesome printer!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...anon_i960.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:53 PM   #2

Excellent review Steve:

Say would you happen to know how Canon printers know when the cartridge is empty? I understand how it warns you of low ink, but how does it decide when the cart is empty?

So you got any inside knowledge of a wide carriage version of the I960 (I1960)

Thx,
Altaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 3:23 AM   #3

Thank you Steve. I am definintely going to get the Canon i960. I guess it's not available until October though, so how were you able to get it so early? I wish I could get one now.
MonPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 2:11 PM   #4

Just wondering: will the i960 photos fade as fast as the i950?

I enjoy the spectacular and FAST results from the i950 I have, but when prints are left unprotected they fade in about 3 months (sometimes much quicker). This fading looks horrible, as colors block up in shadows etc and banding becomes very visable.

Steve, and others...is the i950 particularly bad in this area or is this typical of inkjets using Photo Paper Pro type papers, when the prints are unprotected?

(Yes I know they should be protected usually but it still seemd a fast fade time as I've left old epson prints lying around or displayed and they've lasted for years!).
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:31 PM   #5
Administrator

I have three walls of my living room covered with Canon S9000 and Epson 2200 foamcore-mounted but unprotected 13x19" prints. Most have been there over a year now and now noticeable fading of the colors. The S9000 and i950 use the same inkset and paper.

I've never heard of Canon Photo Paper Pro prints fading that fast. Do you have a house-wide ionizer or something putting out mass quantities of ozone? My prints get lots of Florida light from 9 feet of glass doors on one side and another four feet of glass doors on the other side.

-Steve
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:34 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaman
Excellent review Steve:

Say would you happen to know how Canon printers know when the cartridge is empty? I understand how it warns you of low ink, but how does it decide when the cart is empty?

So you got any inside knowledge of a wide carriage version of the I960 (I1960)

Thx,

I don't wait until they're totally empty, I usually replace them pretty quick after the ink low warning during printing. I've never had any ink left in the resorvoir side, only a little on the sponge side.

I haven't even heard of any official plans for a wide carriage version of the i960. I waited for a wide i950 and it never came.

-Steve
Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:17 PM   #7

Default What about text?

I need a printer that works well for both photos and text (e.g., for a newletter). How is the i960 in this area?
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:24 PM   #8

Default How long do the ink cartridges last?

I am very interested in the i960, and the separate ink cartridges is an extremely attractive feature. I was just wondering, approximately how long do the cartridges last (in 4 x 6 prints or full 8.5 x 11 prints)? I just want to get an idea of about how much I would be spending on ink per picture.

Thanks,

Nick
Coalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:29 AM   #9

Steve,
I would be interested in you opinion compairing the canon i960 and the HP Photosmart 7960.
Thanks.
Lou
garcialm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:37 AM   #10

Steve:

You mentioned your prints are unprtected and doing fine (S9000). Which paper do you use?

The Canon papers give stunning results but I'm looking for a resin coated alternative, for longer life. Just tried the Kodak and it's awful!
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote