Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:00 PM   #1

Need some help...

I need to get an All-In-One that is able to send and receive an occasional fax...
It has to be full-duplex so I wont have to turn the page.

Also the most important feature is that I need to get one that has hacked chips released so that I will be able to use aftermarket ink...

I would like to get a refillable cartridge and some nice quality ink bottles and just refill with a syringe when I need to... Im really not up to speed on the latest news with the chips because from what I understand certain manufacturers updated their chips. I want to make sure I get something that has these cartridges available. Thank in advance.
maxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:27 AM   #2

maxse wrote:
Quote:
I need to get an All-In-One that is able to send and receive an occasional fax...
It has to be full-duplex so I wont have to turn the page.

Also the most important feature is that I need to get one that has hacked chips released so that I will be able to use aftermarket ink...
Ok... I don't know much about the Epson multifunction market at the moment so you'd need to check that out from another source..

For Canons, you would want something like the MP830 or MP530... The former will be getting offered cheaper now that the MX850 is out so you could try to hold out for a bargain. Whatever Canon you went for though you'd need to read up on the German Durchstich cartridge refilling method and also learn about the chip/warranty reset routine (plenty of resources on here about the latter)

If you wanted to go the HP route then I can recommend the L7680 although you would need to use slightly better quality paper for duplexing as standard photocopy paper gets too wet and tends to get eaten/jam up in the printer, especially if you're doing high page coverage printing (documents tend to be fine).

Quote:
I would like to get a refillable cartridge and some nice quality ink bottles and just refill with a syringe when I need to... Im really not up to speed on the latest news with the chips because from what I understand certain manufacturers updated their chips. I want to make sure I get something that has these cartridges available. Thank in advance.
There are some alternatives for the Canons although I don't know how good any of them are... but when it comes to the HP cartridges one major word of warning. The 3rd party cartridges completely remove one feature that allows the printer to detect if the cartridge is empty or about to pump air into the printer. Air into the L7680 or other officejet printers is a printhead death sentence.

I am not a fan of the refillable cartridges for the HP's and opted to modify OEM cartridges instead but as far as I can tell nobody sells them.

Auto-reset chips for the cartridges are available though with varying degrees of "success", something I'm having "fun" researching at the moment.

Hope that gives you some starting points anyways..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote