Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 26, 2002, 4:39 PM   #1

Default Epson Buy-Back Program

I just looked at the printer reviews for the first time, and I see that there is a buy-back program for the Epson 1270 because of an "orange shift."

Wouldn't that also apply to the 1280, which I have?
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2002, 4:55 PM   #2

The buy-back program for the 1270 is old news and now defunct. The orange-shift problem has been solved with re-formulated inks. My 1270 works just fine.
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:49 PM   #3

Unfortunately, Epson did not reformulate the inks. They came out with a new paper (Color Life?) that partially protects the inks from oxidation. This paper slows down the fading of the cyan inks by a factor of 5 or 6, but does not eliminate the problem. Using the original glossy and semi-gloss papers, I would see color shifts in as little as two weeks. Therefore, I returned my 1270 for a full refund. The return program is long over.

This fading had nothing to do with light exposure and everything to do with your "gas" environment. Most people never saw a problem. If you don't see color shifts and don't sell your prints to others, then don't worry about it. The printer is fine for you.

For me, living at 7000 ft altitude, there is enough ozone to quickly affect my prints. I switched to the 2000P which uses pigment rather than dye inks.

Gordon

[Edited on 8-2-2002 by Gordon_O]
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:31 PM   #4

they did rework the ink a bit also. cyan was the issue. i was one of the original 1270 users that brought out the problem. they took all my paper and ink back. that was done with as little fanfare as possible. istuk with it and things did improve. now i have a 2200 on order
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote