Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1

I always have been an Epson inkjet consumer for over 10 years and the problem I always have with Epson inkjet printer is that the ink cartridge dry very quick. It seems that I have to printer every single week just to keep the ink not drying. If it is dried up, I'll have to use the clean utility, which basically just throw away my money. This is ridiculous! Are there ways to compensate or reduce the ink dry up in Epson printers?

Lately I just purchased a cheap $100 Lexmark wireless printer, copier, and scanner printer from Wahl-Mart and to my surprise, the ink cartridge hold up very good. I don't have to constantly print every single week to keep the ink cartridge from drying up. Unless Epson fix this problem or if there is a work around, I'll never buy another Epson printer again.
justTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2

Iam assuming when you say drying up ypu mean the ink nozzles get clogged unless you print every week. With epson pigmented printers there is no work around but you dont have to print a photo every week. I have an Epson R1800 and i made a print of just large letters of all 7 colors that are in the R800/1800 and print that on just plain regular paper once a week. It doesnt use much ink and it seems the best way from keeping the nozzles from clogging. I also leave my printer always on too. Most ink places that sell CIS systems, CIS= continous ink systems, recommend to always leave printer on. If you turn it off when you turn it back on it goes through a nozzle clean cycle wasting ink.

I use a CIS system which lowers the cost of ink by at least 10 times so running a clean cycle doesnt hurt so much. Plus you have probably allready noticed that when you change one ink cart it goes through what epson calls a charging of the lines wating huge amounts of ink. Another reason to use a CIS system. The better CIS systems use pigmented ink. I use inkjetfly's CIS. But the one from Ink Republic is also supposed to be very good too. :-)
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant the nozzel gets clogged up and I use a lot of ink just to clean it. Will you point me to a good CIS that will work for the R800? Will you give me a link?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4

try ebay for cis

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5

sure you can use the one by injetfly I use the smallfoot version. In the lower right of this page: http://www.inkjetfly.com/index.php?cPath=144_99_130

or there is a CIS system by inkrepublic which is supposed to be very good. Cost a little more though. http://www.inkrepublic.com/index.asp

These systems save you a ton of money, use pigmented ink so you get the same long lasting prints and you wont mind doing a nozzle cleaning since its no longer a arm and a leg to do it. LOL.

Or you could always go back to a dye ink type printer as they tend to clog less.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6

Thanks. I'll take a look.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:45 AM   #7

dc9mm wrote:
Quote:
The better CIS systems use pigmented ink.
Erm... I agree with most of the rest of what you said but the bit above is a stretch and not actually true.

Pigmented ink is better for certain applications and requirements.. It's neither better nor worse in a generic sense. Pigments are much more prone to clogging while dyebase on plain paper is more prone to fading.. Again this is generalisation and it depends on the quality of the ink.

For the R800 though you'd be advised to use pigment ink as that's what the printer was designed for.

As to the clogging issue, printing every week is ok but you might want to consider using something that automates the process a bit more like the "autoprint" utility from MIS.

http://www.inksupply.com/cobra.cfm#ap
(for autoprint)

http://inksupply.com/cobratrouble.cfm
(see section 2 for the purge.zip image set)

Oh and I wouldn't recommend buying a CIS from ebay until you've checked the seller out 15 times to Sunday and back.. Many are poorly supported (if at all) and feedback tends to relate purely to delivery times rather than actual functionality. For the R800 take a look at Rihac in Australia or spend some time looking for recommendations from more than just spam shills who post twice about some random product. Takes time but well worth it...

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:34 AM   #8

websnail, thanks for the sugesstion. I'd appreciated very much. By the way, does anyone know or have a link to some reviews of some of the better CIS/CFS systems? As far as the automated printing to prevent the nozzel from clogging, that means the computer will have to be on for the automated printing to work, correct?

One otherquestion I haveas I am contemplating buying a CIS/CFS is, does anyone know or have links to reviews on comparing the quality and price ofhome printing from our inject printers versus printing from, let's say, Walmart or Walgreen?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:11 AM   #9

justTommy wrote:
Quote:
websnail, thanks for the sugesstion.
You're welcome

Quote:
I'd appreciated very much. By the way, does anyone know or have a link to some reviews of some of the better CIS/CFS systems? As far as the automated printing to prevent the nozzel from clogging, that means the computer will have to be on for the automated printing to work, correct?
You would need to have the computer on but in truth the best approach is to run a nozzle check every 3 days or so... If you keep some scrap paper to hand so you don't waste clean stuff and avoid using the head cleaning routine you should be fine.

Quote:
One other question I have as I am contemplating buying a CIS/CFS is, does anyone know or have links to reviews on comparing the quality and price of home printing from our inject printers versus printing from, let's say, Walmart or Walgreen?
Couldn't tell you about the comparisons re: 3rd party refills but I do know that Rihac get very good reviews when it comes to support. Sam may be in Australia but he knows his stuff and doesn't balk at problems. Originally I would have suggested MIS (www.inksupply.com) for a CIS but because of the trade ruling in the USA they've had to drop their kits which means that mainly there's only Chinese clone kits now. Lyson are possibly an option and tend to have good reviews although they are more expensive.

Hope that helps..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote