Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:29 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 versus HP 7960

Thank you Steve again for an excellent review of the i960.

I am a new member to the digital camera community and have recently purchased a Canon s400 camera. I am now looking for a digital photo printer and have narrowed my choices to the HP 7960 or the Canon i960 (or perhaps the Canon i900D). From my choices, you can tell that one of my desires is to be able to directly print photos without having to hook up to my computer (either from my camera or by inserting digital media).

Has anyone compared the quality of the pictures between the two? I know the HP supposedly does amazing black and whites, but does its color photos match the i960/i950? Does the speed of the Canon outweigh what I hear about the longevity of Canon photos? Does it make sense because I own a Canon camera to buy a Canon printer or should this not influence my decision?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

PhotoFan
PhotoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:15 PM   #2

1. you do not need to buy a printer to match your camera.
2. Based on Steve's review, I would lean to the Canon printer. This is difficult for me to say since I have been a HP user for years.
3. Either printer will provide you with excellent pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:25 PM   #3

as gibson wrote: each printer will give you excellent results. The questions are:

- do you want to print directly from a camera
- do you need excellent b&w printing
- can you afford higher ink costs
- do you need speed
- do you need CD-prining module (european models only)
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:20 PM   #4

Thank you for the comments. From Steve's reviews of the Canon i960 and the HP 7960 and the review of the 7960 on Photo-i its seems that the HP 7960 produces some of the best black and white photos around and functions very well as a stand alone photo printer with its large screen and numerous media card inputs. On the other hand, from Steve's review, it sounds like the i960 is much much faster and offers a Canon camera owner such as myself the ability to directly print from my camera.

What I still have not been able to assess is which produces a better color photo and if there is any validity to the claim that Canon color photos fade quickly (the forum's seem full of mixed opinions). The review on Photo-i seem to suggest that HP 7960 color photos appear better then the Canon i950 (which from the spec sheets looks like it has the same engine as the new i960). But it may be one of those things where the color photo quality is so close that it really is just a matter of prefernce.

Thank you for all the assistance.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 4:45 PM   #5

Well FWIW I have read a review on the 7960 and the I960. I have heard of problems with the 7960 and pizza wheel marks from the feed mechanism. Also some ppl saying that the "color" while good on the 7960, does not beat the Canon printers (The I960 is not out yet so hard to speculate).

Things to note on each printer:

The 7960 has it's printhead built into and multiple colors in the carts. This tends to cost more when supplies are needed.

The I960 has hopefully cured the problems that some ppl were complaining of where the printhead clogged on the I950. The good thing with the Canon is that the carts are individual and clear...they don't hide what is left in the cartridge like HP and Epson do.

There is a issue with Canon inks where depending on where you live the prints fade. I have not had this problem in the 4 months I have had my I850, but I also take a proactive approach where I place protective spray on the "keeper" prints and place them in a frame.

The HP printers use the curl around method to feed the paper which give more chance of jamming and I personally like the Canon virtaul straight thru feed method.

Best thing you can do is take a look at the prints from both and make your purchase based on that.

Me I am going to stick with my I850 until Canon comes out with a wide carriage 6+ color printer (in 2pl droplet size) and hopefully the ability for us north american consumers to print directly on CD/DVD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFan
Thank you for the comments. From Steve's reviews of the Canon i960 and the HP 7960 and the review of the 7960 on Photo-i its seems that the HP 7960 produces some of the best black and white photos around and functions very well as a stand alone photo printer with its large screen and numerous media card inputs. On the other hand, from Steve's review, it sounds like the i960 is much much faster and offers a Canon camera owner such as myself the ability to directly print from my camera.

What I still have not been able to assess is which produces a better color photo and if there is any validity to the claim that Canon color photos fade quickly (the forum's seem full of mixed opinions). The review on Photo-i seem to suggest that HP 7960 color photos appear better then the Canon i950 (which from the spec sheets looks like it has the same engine as the new i960). But it may be one of those things where the color photo quality is so close that it really is just a matter of prefernce.

Thank you for all the assistance.
Altaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:35 PM   #6

I am in the market for a photo printer, and I have the same problem... canon i960, 900D, or the HP 7960.

I am a multimedia student, and I have a lot of digital artwork that I would like to start printing at home, and so I want the best photo printer for around $250...

the HP seems like its the best printer for quality... but I keep finding a few horror stories about expensive ink that runs out too fast, roller marks etc...

the Canons seem like they have better quality, but not so good B&W and the ink fades too fast.

what should I do!?
scopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:40 PM   #7

I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a HP 7960 (in part because I couldn't wait any longer for the i960/i900D and that my local computer store said they would take it back within 30 days if I didn't like it). Here are some initial thoughts:

Photo Quality/Direct Printing Ability:
So far I have found the picture quality to be excellent and have experienced none of the "wheel" marks commented by some others in the forum. Though I do not have an i950 or i960 to compare the photo results with, I can say that to the novice user the HP 7960's color photos look pretty impressive. In addition, the direct printing function from media cards works well and is fairly intuitive to use. I have only printed out one test Black and White photo as of yet (but the test looked great).

Ink Cartridges:
I have printed about 50 4x6 pictures, and my computer has indicated that my #59 cartridge is running low (the other 2 cartridges are still fine). There seems to be some debate in the forums as to whether you save money using Canon's 6 ink tank system, because you replace only the necessary colors, and the individual tanks are see through and one can easily check their status. On the other hand, many seem to feel that when one tank goes, the rest are not far behind, thus making the cost saving with respect to only replacing individual tanks fairly minimal. Also, because HP cartridges each contain print heads, this removes the need to clean printer heads and monitor them for replacement which over the long haul may result in savings for the user.

Speed:
The printing speed of the HP 7960 is definitely slow compared with certain other photo printers (taking as much as 2+ minutes to do a 4x6). If the speed claims with respect to the i960 are true, this definitely weighs in Canon's favor.

Conclusion:
One influencing factor in my decision between Canon and HP was the comment I keep hearing about the longevity of Canon photos (i.e. comments on the various forums seem to suggest Canon photos fade much faster than HP or Epson photos). Again, I am not sure of the validity of the comment, but it convinced me to at least give the HP 7960 a try (we will see where I am in 30 days).

Hope this helps.

PhotoFan
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:51 AM   #8

monitor them for replacement which over the long haul may result in savings for the user

This is a totally False statement. Permanent printheads are designed to last the life of the printhead and the user doesn't "monitor" them, in fact he shouldn't touch it.
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:01 AM   #9

I apologize for the incorrect statement and use of the words "monitor" and "clean" with respect to printer heads. I was merely relaying what the sales folk indicated and some comments I have seen in various photography forums. That is why I indicated that it "may result in savings". I have seen a few posts indicating that some Canon i950 owners have experienced printer head clogs. Though I am sure this could occur with any printer head, I thought the problem might be lessened if the printer head is replaced with every swap of the ink cartridge (here again, no personal experience, just an observation and relay of what I have gathered from the forums). Again, I apologize for any incorrect statement.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:19 PM   #10

Altaman:

What "spray" do you use on your prints, and where do you get it?

Photofan:
I believe the quotes about print speed on the Canon. I have the i950 and boy, it prints FAST!!!! However the fading is an issue if the prints are unprotected. I now believe this might be mostly due to using Canons recommended PHOTO PAPER PRO, which is of the "fast drying" variety. It seems "swellable" papers will make the prints last longer unprotected. Haven't tried them yet though, but I'm going to give Ilford's papers a go and leave them unprotected.

For the speed and initial quality I am sticjking with the Canon i950 for the moment. But the fading was a big disappointement thats for sure. Hopefully a different paper will fix this. Protected prints seem to last fine.
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote