Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:15 PM   #1

Right i know this has been covered before but i really need some help as have spent two days trying to sort it out and now i am getting stressed i am getting the general error message i have installed the ssc service utility(which i just do not understand how to use)i have also added a waste ink tank on i have reset the protection counter but can not reset the ink counter as i get this message for your printer model reset counter funtions are provided for special purposes only!please use ink freeze functions instead .:?my head is ringing i have tried the three button thing and turned off at the mains but when i turn it back on it just acts like the ink is charging like normal then stopps then the red light comes back on:angry:can somebody please tell me where i am going wrong i need a step by step guide i think i must be really stupid or somthing as so many of you seem to of sorted yours out i am not computer educated at all and really need some help with this one a few questions e.g like am i tunring the power off for long enough when i do the three button thing and get the message to switch it off? do i have to do it in some sort of order e.g do i have to do the button thing then reset which i seem to also be unable to do what makes it worse is my two kids are ill at the moment and my concentration is lacking if anyone can help please i would really appreciate it
sasha.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:36 AM   #2

sasha.p wrote:
Quote:
i am getting the general error message

i have installed the ssc service utility(which i just do not understand how to use)i have also added a waste ink tank
OK... good start..

Quote:
i have reset the protection counter but can not reset the ink counter as i get this message for your printer model reset counter funtions are provided for special purposes only!please use ink freeze functions instead .
Ok... The protection counter is the waste ink counter and it sounds like you are successfully resetting that (also through the 3 button procedure)

Quote:
i have tried the three button thing and turned off at the mains but when i turn it back on it just acts like the ink is charging like normal then stopps then the red light comes back on:angry:
My guess is that the general error you are getting isn't related to the waste ink counter at all now. It may be something a bit more basic like a paper jam, the purge/cleaning pad lifting out of it's socket or some other issue related to the cartridges themselves.

Quote:
e.g like am i tunring the power off for long enough when i do the three button thing and get the message to switch it off? do i have to do it in some sort of order e.g do i have to do the button thing then reset which i seem to also be unable to do
No, as I said, it sounds like you've successfully solved the waste ink counter and your issue is more basic.. I'm emailing you with a suggestion that may help.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:07 AM   #3

have just received the message thanks i was just about to throw it out and buy a new printer
sasha.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:53 PM   #4

Hi,

I have an epson R300 which has come up with a "general error"...as always it happens just when you need it the most!

Before the error cameon, the printer would not pick up the paper which it had done only a few minutes before. There is no paper jam, so is there a way to sort the problem, or do i need to ask father christmas for a new printer...........:angry:
dave nohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:41 PM   #5

Try disconnecting the power for a while (not just turn off — disconnect.)

Sometimes this works.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:45 PM   #6

have you tried to re-install driver? and re-connect the data cable. it worked for me before.
phplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7

Just had a customer on the phone about an R300 with the General error too. In her case it was the chip sensor wires which had been knocked out of place but there are other possible causes:

- ribbon cable has become detached from the sensor at the rear of printer, causing printer carriage to slam left and right. It's finickety but feeding the ribbon end back into the appropriate receptacle fixes this.

- printhead carriage can't get into parking position
This is usually caused by the white plastic cleaning part (to left of the parking pads) becoming loose from the parking pad part (it looks like a jack in the box and bounces around). A little careful manipulation to push the white part down and back into the connected position with the parking pad is required to get this resolved.

Note: the prime cause of the disconnection in the first place is very dry, sticking wiper parts so cleaning these of ink residue can help reduce the likelihood of a repeat.

- incorrect cartridge chips
If the printer can't read the cartridge chips it'll fail.. Check the sensor wires haven't been bent, broken or otherwise knocked out of position/alignment

... there's bound to be others, but those are the key ones I come across with Epsons.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:19 PM   #8

Problem now solved!!!

And I havn't had to ask Santa for a new printer........

Thanks to ' phplarry ',I have re-installed the drivers etc and problem sorted......

Merry Christmas,

Once again, thanks!!!

Dave Nohair

Fromthe 'not so cold UK...raining again...as always...'
dave nohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:44 AM   #9

Gald I can help!

Websnail also feed me some real good info. thanks guys and happy new year to you all.
phplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10

phplarry wrote:
Quote:
Gald I can help!

Websnail also feed me some real good info. thanks guys and happy new year to you all.
Same to you and glad to share the knowledge...