Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 7, 2008, 10:09 AM   #1

Hello everybody

I am a keen semi-pro photographer and I bought a CISS for my printer. I print A3 prints and I printed about 30 A3 prints ok, but now I get streaks appearing with some colours. The problem appears to be with magenta cartridge or printhead. I notice there is some air in the line from the tanks to the ink cartridge could this be the problem. If so any advice to solve the problem would be welcome.

Regards

Alan

atataylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums.

I've moved this thread down to our Photo Inkjet forum, where you'll be more likely to find some members that can hellp you out with your printer issues.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:41 PM   #3

Would be useful to know which printer you have and where you got your CIS from, inks used, etc..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 2:50 AM   #4

Hi Websnail

Thanks for your reply. The printer is a HP, CP1700 and I bought the CIS brand new and boxed off Ebay. The name on the packaging is CIS Ink Supply but they do not appear to have a website or offer support. I tried replacing the print heads but that made no difference at all. Please let me know what you think.

Regards

Alan
Old May 8, 2008, 5:47 AM   #5

If it's an HP specific problem, of course, I won't have a clue, but there are a few things common to CIS units in general and cheap Ebay devices in particular.

First things to check are that the ink is flowing through from the tanks properly — if there's an air leak anywhere between taks and carts, or the carts didn't fill corrrectly, or the cart outlet seals aren't up to scratch you won't get clean printing.

Also ensure that the air vents on the tanks are working — a common cause of bad/no printing is forgetting to remove the transport seals when setting up a new CIS.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:01 AM   #6

my designjet doesnt like cis systems either.

i spent a sunday morning buying cheap short date carts of ebay and think ill keep doing it when i run short.

i have noticed a rubber kind of pump on the bottom of genuine carts that is missing off the cis system

can get a cart for £5 ish of ebay .........its £18 to refill for cartridge world.....so its a no brainer as i do tons of printing

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 3:22 PM   #7

Hi Idle

Thanks for replying to my post, I will make the checks as you suggest. I can see air in the lines from the tank to the cart (magenta only). When I pull more ink through the system using the syringe the air clears but comes back when I pull the syringe out. You mentioned transport seals were would these be located? Thanks again for you help.

Regards

Alan
Old May 9, 2008, 6:00 AM   #8

The CIS systems I'm acquainted with (mostly Epson) have a fill hole and a ventilation hole in each ink bottle/tank.

As delivered they have an airtight plug in each of the vent holes to prevent leakage in transit.

In the course of setup, you remove the plug from these and replace it with a small filter that's supplied in the kit.

If you forget to do this, the unit will work for a short while, then as vacuum builds up in the tank flow will cease.

However, since you're able to pull ink through the lines this doesn't seem to be your problem.

Looks like you have an air leak somewhere in the magenta line — it could be anywhere, but most likely not at the tank unless you can see signs of ink..

Carefully check the seal where the line attaches to the cart — this is normally under a slight vacuum and as a rule won't leak, but will let air back into the line (bubbles.)

Try running a bit of hot melt around it and any other join you might suspect.

The "rubber bellows" on genuine carts is probably an elaborate seal — some Canon carts are similar and quite difficult for aftermarket vendors to duplicate without getting sued.

Old May 10, 2008, 7:20 AM   #9

Thanks for your advice I will give that a go and let you know what happens. I am away for the weekend but I try it Monday. By hot melt do you mean heated glue from a glue gun? Thanks again for your input.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:04 PM   #10

Yes, either heated glue or sealant — both will work and it's often easier to do that on all the joints on a line than it is to locate a leak.