Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 27, 2008, 4:09 PM   #1

If you don't need a large format printer what is the best one to get for printing panoramic photos? I see that most cannon can only print up to 15" and the Epson can handle 24". I was looking at the Epson r800 is this going to work or will I be better with a large format like the Epson R1900? I really don't print bigger than 8x10 but is the quality that much better on the r1900?

Thanks i'm really need help.
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 5:59 PM   #2

am confused by what you actualy want as you finish by saying " i really dont print bigger than 8x10" yet thread title is about printing panoramics

regardless of printer let me just mention paper.....sourcing paper for panoramics is a bit harder than you think

i print panoramics 12x36 inch or sometimes 12x44 i use a hp designjet printer what takes 24 inch roll paper, i can either print 2 side by side then cut later or cut paper first and manualy feed it into the printer, i could do a 24x72 inch pano but its impractical.

if you use auto pano software then its unlikely that file size will lend itself to printing out big as to join up the shots it drops resolution a lot to process the pics

let me know a bit more and ill try help you as i shoot and print and sell my own panoramics

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 8:10 AM   #3

I guess you are right it was confussing. I probalbly not print 13 wide.
8 wide is about it. I saw some rolled Epson paper 8 x 32. So I will need a printer to handle this longer paper thats why I was looking at the Epson R800or the R1900.
Some where I read that the R1900 has smaller cartriages so they hold less ink. Is the print quailty that much better in the R1900?
do you have any better printer ideas?
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 4:44 PM   #4

right i think i get what you mean............

the r1900 prints 13 x44 inch and is by far the best printer out of the 2 you mention

gloss paper will wrinkle unless you get it dry mounted by a framer

i use photo matt paper or sometimes photo satin as this is far easier to mount with normal spray mount, my matt paper is anti wrinkle and looks great framed

my printer is a large format designjet 100 plus which cost £500 ($1000) second hand, but it had an easy life......and am currently doing posters for local pubs/bars to promote events

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 10:38 PM   #5

I have printed a couple panoramas on my Epson R1800, and am very pleased with the results. Have also done a test print on my C86 8.3 x 36 inches, from Epson roll paper, which I cut to length before printing. If the printer allows the length, this can be done with just about any printer. The R1800 does provide somewhat better prints, but the C86 is more than acceptable.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote