Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 faint pictures

Well I finally hooked up my Canon S9000 and the printouts ARE nice... only thing is they ALL look washed out... the color on the printout is not nearly as rich as I'm seeing on the screen... Currently I'm using their bundled software "Easy-PhotoPrint" that came with the printer.

I haven't tested printing out of other applications yet.

Is it just the horrible application that's causing the horrid printouts? or is there something wrong with my printer. (I've cleaned the head twice, and realigned per the directions upon setting up the printer)

Thanks!

-mike
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:59 AM   #2

Ok, after pushing up the Intensity to the max, pictures come out how I would expect...

This doesn't seem "normal" really.

Again, I suspect the printing application but I'm not sure.

Would Qimage have better performace?

I'm not modifing the pictures at all from the format they were originally created in. (a large jpg file)

-mike
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:49 PM   #3
Administrator

You shouldn't have to mess with the Intensity or anything else for that matter. The Canon Easy Photo program works fine here with all the Canon printers I have had (s9000, i9100, i850, i950, i960, i900D) - never had a color saturation problem and never fiddled with any of those adjustments.

I use an i9100 daily and have never seen a "faint" printout. I send output to the printer from Photoshop, ThumbsPlus and half a dozen other Windows graphics apps with no problems.

Check settings on driver pg 4 "Effects" - make sure that all items are unchecked and then try printing again. Be sure you have selected the right paper media (i.e. Photo Paper Pro) on the first page, the default for all of these printers is to print on plain paper and that won't make a very good photo.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:53 AM   #4

I did have the correct paper selected.

I turned on ICC (I believe that's the checkbox I clicked on), and dropped the intensity back down to the default level. This significantly improved the quality / richness of the picture.

I think I just needed to enable the color management(?) logic.

does this sound right?

Thanks!

-mike
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:46 PM   #5

Default Fainted prints

Sounds like you are using Kodak paper or something like it. Each paper has it own drying time and different settings. If using Kodak paper go to www.kodak.com > inkjet paper and find the paper you are using. Then find S9000 and check the settings for the printer for Kodak paper. EasyPhoto Print does not allow you to change settings so if the photo doesn't look good use Canon PhotoRecord since you can change the settings there. Easyphoto is for Canon paper and paper that is close to the same drying time.
Hope this helps....
Bobby
Bobbymva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:16 AM   #6

thanks but it had to do with me enabling color management.

I was in fact using Canon's own Photo Paper Pro. I guess I just forgot to mention that in my initial post.

All is well now!

-mike
Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker
I did have the correct paper selected.

I turned on ICC (I believe that's the checkbox I clicked on), and dropped the intensity back down to the default level. This significantly improved the quality / richness of the picture.

I think I just needed to enable the color management(?) logic.

does this sound right?

Thanks!

-mike
Mike,
Where is this "ICC" (what does ICC stand for?) setting that you fudged with? I have the 9001 and have similar problems.

I print mostly out of Elements.......

Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:18 PM   #8

Eriseman

I believe you are looking for the ICM checkbox.

To find the ICM, you need to go to "Printing Preferences" for your printer. On the MAIN tab, there is an area called Color Adjustment, select Manual, then click the SET button. This opens another box, and there in the center is a check box for ENABLE ICM.

For me, this didn't really help my images. I just leave my Color Management set to AUTO. the MANUAL settings made my images look worse, and no where near how the image looks like on my monitor. With AUTO, they are very close.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:30 AM   #9

thanks for clarifying Bill... the ICM not ICC check box

Also, I've found that I do in fact the print quality does vary depending on what application I am in fact printing out the pictures from.

-mike
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:51 AM   #10

Default Still don't understand....

I guess I still don't understand why this is not WYSIWYG???

How can you make corrections in photoshop and not reliably transmit those changes to print?

How can you print an image that you can't trust on the screen?

If I make changes in a photo editor - I want the image that I print to be EXACTLY like what I see on my monitor - otherwise - how will you know what changes to make to ensure a perfect picture? :?: :?: :?:
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote