Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1

I am wondering if anyone has used/uses any of the Epson Picturemate photo printers. I bought one partly for the convenience and partly for the reasonable cost per print, as every review I read indicated that the bundled ink and paper meant you were able to get at least that number of prints per ink cartridge. Given there is 150 sheets of 4x6 bundled with the ink I would have liked to have gotten close to that number of prints. Want to know how many I have done before I got the warning change ink cartridge?? Only 85!! My cost per print suddenly doubled! I have been battling to try and get Epson to explain this to me with very little success to date. They sent the printer for service "in case" there was something faulty with the result being "operating within guidelines".

What I want to know (as I continue to launch an attack on Epson) is if there is anyone else around who has experienced similar problems?

Thanks.
KatieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:40 PM   #2

It's normal for the initial set of inks supplied with a printer to have a shorter life than replacements.

The reason is that the printer has to charge the system with ink before it produces the first print — thereafter the passages and heads remain full.

I've no experience with those printers, but the manual for the regular printers usually tells you this.

Having said that, it's really remiss of Epson not to provide enough ink to use up all the sheets in a pack, plus in any case I can't see the system holding enough ink for 50+ prints — that would be a third of the cart's alleged capacity used just to charge the heads.

Maybe they just don't supply full carts with a new unit — this happens with lots of printers (I just had to replace my 16YO laser, and the new one came with just enough toner to get it going and produce a few prints.)

If the replacement set doesn't manage to use up all its paper supply I'd certainly take the complaint further up the chain of management.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:04 PM   #3

I was aware of the "smaller" ink cartridge that comes with the printer and that only gave me about 12 prints, but I was expecting that so it was no surprise. The other ink that I was talking about was a brand new full cartridge that was bought as the bundled set with the 150 sheets of 4x6, so I guess you can understand why I am so annoyed about it.

To me it makes sense to only bundled 100 sheets with that ink if that is all you are likely to get and just adjust the price for the bundle down a bit, but having people expecting to get 150 prints and just not getting anywhere near that figure is misleading and false advertising.

KatieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:54 AM   #4

I couldn't agree more, and if it were mine I'd be screaming blue murder!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote