Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

hopefully I can get some help here.

I have an Epson R210

I have an CIS in place and the waste ink is diverted.

Lately my photo prints have lines running across. I figure this is banding and have done head cleans and run the epson alignment program and adjusted accordingly - if necessary etc etc.

Nothing helps .... the lines are still there... the setting I am using is.... Photo paper and Best Photo.... high speed is off.

I do find if I change to Best Photo RPM the lines disappear. However, if possible I prefer not to use this setting (RPM) because it takes longer to print and most times this is not viable.

When I run the epson alignment program,,, the black boxes print out okay.... the next one which is pink shows a dark and a white line at the top of ALL boxes.

I have no idea why etc etc.

Any help/ideas appreciated.
kangaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:09 PM   #2

i dont use epsons anymore

but i have a large format hp designjet and i got a cis for that and after a while bands appeared, i traced the problem to the blue ink but only way to fix it was to dump the cis and put some proper carts in and withing a couple of prints the banding had gone

when i say proper i mean genuine hp inks not cheapo rubbish

the cis went in the bin !!

maybe worth trying carts and seeing it the banding goes??

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3

thanks reanimator. I was thinking along that track too. I might give it a try this weekend.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:33 AM   #4

What do you get from a simple nozzle check? If there are no gaps in that then the ink system should be fine.

Banding is the noticeable bands you get when you print a graphic in text mode, and which become less noticeable as the print density increases (more head passes per inch and slower printing.)

You may have one or more heads not being adequately supplied with ink or with some partially blocked nozzles.

My first move would be the ammonia-based window cleaner treatment (ammonia is a good solvent for dye-based ink — I've so far found no better one, and I used my first inkjet in the mid 1980's) and I'd also check the breather setup on the ink tanks, plus ensure there are no air leaks anywhere between the tanks and the cartridge exit spikes.

If the heads are clean and there's an unobstructed solid column of fluid between tanks and heads, the only reason for lines in the prints would be either trying to print too fast (not enough overlap in each pass — the same thing that causes a poor result (banding) when spray painting) or a mechanical problem such as dried ink either in one or more nozzles or accumulating on the head surface and deflecting the ink spray.

My experience with poor quality inks has only been in the colour match area — if all else is up to scratch the coverage will be equally good, it just won't be as nice a print.

Of course, the seller who provides lousy ink will also cut corners elsewhere, which is why buyers of cheap CIS's ahould check the supplier's credentials before purchase.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:09 AM   #5

Idle wrote:
Quote:
My experience with poor quality inks has only been in the colour match area — if all else is up to scratch the coverage will be equally good, it just won't be as nice a print.

my experience with the same gave me the same probs as kangaroo2 described

i have custom profile for printing my panos and 24x36 inch prints and was using the exact same settings using th cis on my hp designjet.....after a few prints there was noticable banding, after removing the cis and putting hp carts back in the opposite occured, the banding disapeared.

this lead me to think that its deffinaly the inks, and in particular the blue as my printer as not printed nowhere near enough to start thinking of heads been worn or clogged, and diagnostics and the printers lcd display both said heads where fine.

nothing else was done except removal of cis and replacement with genuine carts.

what i now do is get short date original cart from ebay.........they are dirt cheap...and i have encountered no more banding at all.

so my experiance is that poor ink doesnt flow through heads as good as original ink, but i also found is was a good colour match looking back at the said prints

Gary
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:31 AM   #6

Fair enough.

However, I've found that quite a few CIS carts don't seal all that well and there are often places where air can get in.

Since air flows easier than liquid this results in no or not enough ink being pulled through and the cart eventually starts to run empty, resulting in streaks.

(CIS don't give warning that the ink is running out — so far as they're concerned the carts are always full of something, even if it's nothing but air.)

This is often blamed on the ink.

There's no reason one dye ink colour should flow differently to any other — the compounding is the same for all.

Rather than going straight back to OEM inks, the first thing to try in these circumstances is re-priming the cart.

If this results in good prints again, the fix is obvious — find the air leak and seal it.

The same fault can also be caused by a kink or restriction in the supply line — this is what you'd look for if a machine consistently exhibits the fault after a number of prints and comes good again after standing for a while.

This applies to all CIS devices that rely on the slight vacuum created by the ink feed to keep the carts topped up ("Nature abhors a vacuum" (science class 75+ years ago...)

Similar problems can also be caused by pigment inks that don't get stirred up enough and settle out

Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:59 AM   #7

good points mate, maybe the cis are not the best.

reson i mentioned blue was because when i ran epsons it was allways the light blue one that would clog and not clean no matter how many head clean cycles, this happened on 3 i owened with cis systems on them.......not the same systems !

it was also the blue on my hp design jet what was at fault causing the banding...other colours where fine......that was running a cis system too.

just weird !! :?

oh my cis showed ink levels on the printers lcd screen and also on online diagnostics, and when it was banding carts where all showing full, it had auto reset chips intstalled?

so im my situation i just get em off ebay.....short date £12 for set.....brand new £160.....i know its still prob more to run than cis but its problem free for me and it is genuine hp ink

i would consider a cis againif someone uses one on on a hp designjet without problems and can give me details......im just not risking it agian without recomendation though
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:49 PM   #8

thanks to you both.... reanimator and idle.

Interesting points. The ciss and inkscome from a Melb. company and I dont think they are cheap and nasty.

I have just contacted them and am waiting to hear back as to what they think could be the problem.

The tubes are not pinched so ink flow is okay.

The ciss hasbeen in place for at least 2 years and it is only now that I am having this banding problem. I have done nothing to upset the works. ie.. moved anything etc

The banding itselfis best decribed as dark lines running across the print. Not white.

I see NO gaps when I run a nozzle check.

When I run and alignment I see a dark line at the top of all the boxes on the pink test.... this is what I think the problem is and I dont know how to fix it.

I know about the Windex on parking pads and have done this already. No improvement.

As for trying to find an air leak..... how do I do that?

I will try to repriming the cartridges on the weekend.

When I print I use the following...

Photo paper (for Ilford smoothGallerie), Best Photo with High speed UNCHECKED and edge smoothing checked.

Best Photo RPM gives a pretty good result but I used to get this sort of result when I had high speed checked with the best photo setting and now all of a sudden I dont... my prints are pretty amateurish. They look like something from a printer from 10 years ago.

I am intent on finding a solution so I will continue to play around with my R210 until I find a fix. I have too much money invested in inks to just throw it all away.

Keep you informed and next time I will attach an enlargement of the banding.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:10 PM   #9

just out of intrest, how many prints have you done with the printer.

the heads do have a life span, not sure how long it is but just wondering if they are at end of their life??

my hp shows on the lcd screen what conditon each head is in and online diagnostics help further by telling how many prints the printer as done and how much ink as been used

Gary
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:24 AM   #10

If the printer puts out good quality prints at any setting I wouldn't be blaming head wear — the ink still comes through the same holes.

Other than physical damage, I've yet to see an Epson ceramic head wear out — I've had them come in broken, burned out, clogged etc., but so far none worn to the point that the print is unsatisfactory.

My R310 would have many thousands of prints of various kinds behind it — still can't see any loss of photo quality.

It prints photo's, graphics, CD's, letters, manuals, newsletters, cards, envelopes, labels — even the occasional book.

It's on its third CIS — currently the same unit Kangaroo2 has in his R210 — and has had the ink counter reset several times when I've re-installed the computer's OS and forgotten to turn the counter off.

The earlier pair weren't as good — first one was a Hong Kong unit that looked the part but leaked badly and had horrible ink, the second from a now-defunct US vendor.

It worked OK once I replaced the incorrect chips with a set that the printer would look at (fortunately I had a spare set — the vendor wasn't all that interested in someone the other side of the world.)

Right from new I've had the occasional problem with light cyan and light magenta carts failing to print at all — in every case a single head clean has fixed it (wouldn't occur, I suppose, if I did a nozzle check daily (lazy sod!)) and it has happened with all the CIS units — can't say if it would happen with the OEM carts, for I never used them and eventually gave them away.

I think it's just 'one of those things' — perhaps air seeping back from the parking pad.