Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:33 PM   #1

Default Brand new i9100 is the worst printer I have ever seen

I just received my new Canon i9100 after reading nothing but wonderful reviews. I bought it to replace an Epson 870 photo because I used half a tank of ink to clean it every time I wanted to print.

There are white bands present on the photos no matter how the print head is aligned. The photos are grainy and mildly washed out. The colors clearly do not match the screen.

I am printing 4 megapixel photos that look fine on the epson. I have the latest printer drivers. I am using Canon 'photo paper plus glossy' but I have the same problem with epson paper and kodak paper looks like I used the crystalize filter in photoshop.

I am just amazed at how absolutely horrendous the output is. I've read nothing but great things about this printer. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I guess right now its just a question of exchange vs. return.

Thanks for any advice. :evil:
RadOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 4:55 AM   #2

RadOD

The Canon I9100 is a good printer. It is possible that you might have gotten a bad one, it is man made. Sometimes a bad one does slip through.

For papers, I would not use the Canon Photo Plus Glossy, it does not give that good of results. The Kodak papers are the worse to use with this printer, they suck big time. In reading here, you will notice that hardly anyone gets good results with Kodak paper and Canon printers. I have had soso results with Epson papers on the Canon.

I would try the Canon Photo Paper Pro and set the Canon drivers to defult. At that point, I would set the paper to Canon Photo Paper Pro. Then in Print Quality, select Custom. At that point, move the slider bar all the way to 1. This should give you the best print. Also make sure that you have the selector lever on paper, not envelope.

The banding my occur if you have selected just plain paper and try to print on photo paper. This could also attribute to your poor quality. As for plain paper you can't get the best quality the printer can put out.

If your are printing out of Photoshop, this could make the image different too. There are many things that Photoshop can change on you to wash out the image, degrade images, and drive you nuts. For Photoshop, I would make sure that your not making it see the Epson driver to print to the Canon, this can cause some of the problems. I would base line the printer with the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint. I know that it isn't the best program, but it does make nice prints for me.

If this does not help, it is possible that you might have recieved a bad unit. Canon has a good return system.

If you don't mind me asking, could you post how you have the printer driver setup, as this might help us out to help you out. And what program you are printing from. Thanks

I hope this helps. Please let us know how things work out.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3

Current settings:

Photo Paper Plus Glossy
Auto Sheet Feeder
Quality High
Color Adj Auto
Grayscale OFF
Preview OFF
Page size 4x6
Orientation Portrait
Paper size same as page size
Type borderless
Amt of extension 4
Duplex OFF
Copies 1
Reverse OFF
Collate OFF
Simulate Illustrationf OFF
Monochrome effects OFF
Vivid OFF
Image Optimizer ON
Photo Optimizer Pro ON
Apply Throughout ON
Noise reduction Normal

I've tried variations, different types of paper, and different programs with no results.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:58 AM   #4

RadOD

By the settings that you posted, I would try printing with the Image Optimizer and Photo Optimizer Pro settings off. Try with these two off, as I have had bad results with them on. You would think that they would help, but they made my images look worse. I would also try with Noise Reduction off.

For the Photo Paper Plus setting, if you click the Quaity to custom, make sure the slider bar is on 1. I think this is the only setting for this.

Have you tried the Canon Photo Paper Pro, as I have seen very big differences between the Plus and Pro papers. Epson papers are ok on this printer, and you might want to set the driver to the "Pro" setting for this paper. For Kodak paper and this printer, it just sucks, no matter how I try to make it look good.

How large is the image that you are trying to print? If the file is to small, the quaility might not be there for the printer. I know you are using a 4 mb camera, I am just wondering how much compression you are using too. My printer doesn't print the images off my old 2mb camera as well as from the 5mb camera.

If none of this helps, it is possible that you might have a bad print head and/or printer. If this is the case, Canon will replace it.

This is a great printer, as I have printed some really nice images off of it, with many people amased at them being digital and from a home printer. Sorry to here that you might have recieved a bad unit.

Bill
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:10 PM   #5

Canon seems to agree that there is something wrong with the printer.

There going to send me a new one but they want to replace my brand new printer which didn't work out of the box with a refurbished one. Like h e l l.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 2:55 AM   #6

Don't you just love corporate America! They sell you a new product that doesn't work and expect you to take a used one of unkown vintage as a replacement!

OK, let me tell you what may help. Send a letter to their legal department claiming breach of the implied warranty of merchantability which, under the Magnusson Moss Act cannot be disclaimed when a written warranty is provided. Ask if they really want to have you engage counsel to bring suit given that you will be entitled to attorney's fees when you win this one. You might suggest that this whole mess can be avoided by simply providing you with a fresh new printer from stock. Note, this needs to go to a lawyer. Customer service won't understand what you are saying. A lawyer will recognize that you have done enough research to make good on your threat and it will be much cheaper for them to simply send you a new printer...

I hate to have to recommend such a contentious course of action, but it is sometimes necessary.

Regards,
<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadOD
Canon seems to agree that there is something wrong with the printer.

There going to send me a new one but they want to replace my brand new printer which didn't work out of the box with a refurbished one. Like h e l l.
[/i]
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie
RadOD

For Photoshop, I would make sure that your not making it see the Epson driver to print to the Canon

Bill
Bill,
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you get Photoshop (I am using Elements) to recognize the correct Driver - other than pointing to the correct printer at print time????

I too have the 9100 - and want to be sure that I am pointing to the correct driver as my prints are not what I see in Elements (no Wysisyg)......

Thanks
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:06 PM   #8

RadOD

I am sorry to here about that, I would have a good talk with them about giving you a new one. What about the store that you bought it from? I know that some have a return policy within so many days.

Eriseman

For Photoshop 7, I am not sure with Elements, click on "File", then select "Print with Preview". This opens a new little window, showing your image to be printed, with lots of other info. Near the bottom is an area called "Print Space". In here you can find different settings. For me, I can see my Sony DPP-EX5 printer setting (4x6 dye sub), my Epson C82 (my text printer), and a host of other things. For the Sony and Epson, I get the best prints using the specified printer selection. If i have one these selected with the Canon I9100, the print looks bad. For the Canon, I get the best prints with the "Printer Color Management" selection. Hope this helps you out.

Bill
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Send a letter to their legal department claiming breach of the implied warranty of merchantability which, under the Magnusson Moss Act cannot be disclaimed when a written warranty is provided. Ask if they really want to have you engage counsel to bring suit given that you will be entitled to attorney's fees when you win this one.
Wow.

I'm speechless.

Actually, I looked this stuff up and you're exactly right. Although I was never going to accept a used printer. I'll wrap it up and send it back to the seller and call my credit card company first. I think I can get them to send me a printer but I agreed to try replacing the print head first. If that works I guess we'll both be happy. If not, then I'll have to get litigious on their *ss.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:01 AM   #10

Oh, I used to do this sort of stuff for a living (at least in part)... However, I represented the manufacturers defending these cases. That sort of gives you some insights into what works and what doesn't. (Just remember that I am not a lawyer in your jurisdiction and I am not allowed to give you legal advice -- this is technical advice about printers <G>!)

As to your plan, if you have a good credit card company, they will probably be able to get this straightened out for you with the seller (who happens to be innocent in this circumstance). (OK, what is a good credit card company? One that is consumer oriented. How do you tell? Look for an issuer such as MBNA that does not also take merchant accounts. An issuer that does not take merchant accounts is wholly committed to keeping its card holders happy. An issuer that also takes merchant accounts is hopelessly conflicted since it represents both sides... BTW, MBNA is NOT a client of mine -- indeed, I have historically been adverse to them. I DO use their cards for internet and mail order purchases, however, for just that reason...)

Best,
<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadOD
Quote:
Send a letter to their legal department claiming breach of the implied warranty of merchantability which, under the Magnusson Moss Act cannot be disclaimed when a written warranty is provided. Ask if they really want to have you engage counsel to bring suit given that you will be entitled to attorney's fees when you win this one.
Wow.

I'm speechless.

Actually, I looked this stuff up and you're exactly right. Although I was never going to accept a used printer. I'll wrap it up and send it back to the seller and call my credit card company first. I think I can get them to send me a printer but I agreed to try replacing the print head first. If that works I guess we'll both be happy. If not, then I'll have to get litigious on their *ss.
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote