Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Epson 2200- printing time

I am thinking of buying the Epson 2200. I want it to print out my images to make journal notebook covers and brochures. Probably will print out 100's. I like the idea that it is waterproof ink.
A couple questions:
I read about how slow the printing time is.
If my art is printed at 300dpi in color, how long can I expect it to take to printout, edge to edge, 8.5 x 11.
Also, if I use heavy weight paper, is rear flat loading capability a standard feature?
Thanks! :?:
rubytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:25 AM   #2

The 2200 is not a speed deamon at all, a 13*19 can take 15 minutes or longer. I have never tried anything smaller on the 2200.

Yes the rear load is standard on the 2200 and it is a very manual process, where you have to lift the preasure roller switch, insert the paper to a mark, make sure it is straight and return the preasure roller switch to half preasure. It is the only way to get "fine art velvet" paper to load as it can't bend. You also have to remove the roll paper feed&cutter to use the manual load method.

For brochures we use the epson c80 it also uses waterproof pigment inks in 4 ink carts, the printer is quite fast and produces acceptable promotional material in 4 color output. It is also very inexpensive compared to the 2200.

IF you want to do full bleed images I think the 2200 can only do them if it is using roll paper.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I think the printing time will take too long for what I want to use it for.
I have been using the Epson 880- which prints quickly and produces wonderful color. Just doesn't have waterproof ink.
Can you say how the color output on the C80 matches up to the 2200?
That is the other main feature I am looking for.
rubytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:45 AM   #4

Well the c80 is a 4 color general purpose printer and the 2200 is a 7 color photo printer, so the output on the 2200 is much better.

But I think the c80 does very well for itself when printing photo output, it looks quite realistic.

I think the c82(new version of the c80) is rated at something like 20 text pages a min, and only a minute or two for photos so it is fairly fast.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:59 PM   #5

the 2200 is really a fine art printer. it is designed to produce the highest quality output. for brochure production it would be the most expensive way to produce them where a 4 color unit would more then capable and economical.

and actually now its the c84. the c82 has been updated already. will wonder ever cease.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:02 AM   #6

IMHO it is probably cheaper and faster to produce 1 master copy of your brochur and take it to a copy shop like kinkos or business depot and have them make colour photocopies of it

Ha, new year, new model

Quote:
and actually now its the c84. the c82 has been updated already. will wonder ever cease