Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1

Hi,

I have a Epson R1800. I'm having a weird issue lately. For most things I print, there are vertical lines showing up on the side(s). It never comes up in the middle.

These are very thin vertical lines, usually 5 although not always. The color of each line looks like as if each cartridge decided to draw a line on the side. The colors itself look like they're in order (Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Black, a light black) of the cartridges. They do not always show up (most times they do) and they show up at random spots (sometimes near the top, sometimes in the middle, usually about 1 inch tall). They show up in any type of paper, any quality type, any settings (high speed, gloss full/none), vertical and landscape, etc.

I attached an scan of the lines. I put a black border around the image so it's easier to see.

Does anyone know what's causing this issue?

Attached Images

Ingraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2

I just want to also add that the vertical lines appear even if there's nothing to print in the area (empty space and even when the margins cover that area).

I have also watched and it's printed so it's not the rollers causing the problem.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3

i once had a similar thing a year or so back with an epsonand was told it was the heads, i put it down to the cheap ink i ran my printer on, my nozzle test was fine and showed no probs but it still printed the fine lines........it went to printer heaven shortly afterwards

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4

What kind of paper are you using? I have had something like this occur when I inadvertently printed using the plain paper setting, and I was using heavy matte paper.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:12 PM   #5

It happens on any kind of paper on any setting. Plain, glossy, premium glossy. Epson brand, HP brand, generic brands. High speed on and off. With borders and without. Photo RPM, Best Photo and normal. Every setting.

It worked fine for a year. About 2 weeks ago this started happening. I changed inks (I use the genuine epson carts) about 1 month ago. After the ink change, they printed fine (about 20 photo rpm 5x7 prints) before this started happening.

Here are 2 prints using plain paper. I put boxes around the "marks". The images are pretty huge but it was needed so you can see it. The lines are very thin.

Head cleaning print
http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4651518md9.jpg

Google News print
http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4166292ip7.jpg

Old Aug 30, 2008, 6:50 AM   #6

My best guess would be that your print head has picked up some dust or fiber from paper which isn't being wiped off when the printhead moves out of the park position. A possible fix is to press the button to change cartridge, then, when the printhead moves to that position, unplug the printer. This leaves the carriage free to move back and forth. Slide the carriage to about the middle, and look at the wipers and inkpads where the head parks. These can be cleaned with Windex (the blue kind with ammonia) and paper towels. It's a messy process, but cleaning the wiper, especially, could help your problem.

brian
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:16 AM   #7

Which part is the wiper? I cleaned the parts as best I could. It didn't seem to help. I did a test print and it still occured.

Also note that I only used Plain 8x10 (generic Staples), Epson Glossy 5x7, HP Glossy 5x7 and a generic Glossy 4x6 papers.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:30 PM   #8

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There is a rubber strip that the head moves across when going from park to print. Just like a windshield wiper except the blade stays still and the windshield moves over it.

If none of this has helped, I'm not sure what else to advise. The only other thing I have run across regarding vertical lines is head alignment. Have you tried printing out an alignment pattern and adjusting it? The R1800 driver has an auto mode for this, but printing it out manually might show up something the auto mode misses.

brian
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:51 PM   #9

I cleaned it and tried the manual head alignment. Nothing helped.

I even went to buy a new set of ink carts but Staples was out and only had 5 of the 8. But for some reason 2 of the new carts give me the "red" light (meaning I have to replace); MK and Blue. I didn't replace PK, Red and Gloss.

Would there be a problem with the MK and Blue carts? These were "returned" to Staples (they let me buy them for like 50 cents each) but they were still sealed. I'm going to a different Staples to see if I can get the PK, Red and Gloss carts.