Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1

Im trying to figure out why my prints are coming out as well as they should.
Can it be the printer?
The "aftermarket" ink?
The paper?

My aunt gave me the printer and it is using aftermarket inks from 4inkjets.com ( LD brand )
The only paper I have is Kodak Photo Paper and it just says Gloss/Billiant/Brilliante

Hard to describe how the prints look but they are not sharp at all although the image being printed is.

I guess the 1st thing I should try is beter paper
NitPik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:46 PM   #2

Can we assume you have checked the printers settings ?

Ie set it to the highest resolution, set it to photo mode (as opposed to text), set the paper type to glossy?
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:54 PM   #3

All settings are as they should be, yes.

I would assume inks will only have a color affect rather than visual when using aftermarkets ?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 5:05 AM   #4

please try to clean print head several times. and also check if the ink suit to your printer.
lankeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:16 PM   #5

I have cleaned the print head a few times and still getting "fuzzy" photo prints.
It does seem however that when printing images other than photos, they come out great.Im just not getting very good detail on photo printing.Almost like a smudged look in areas.
I tried different paper and my next step would be to try and use genuine Epson inks.
How much would it take to get the ink I have now, flushed out after using Epson inks? Im guessing a few good sized images will do the trick.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:31 PM   #6

NitPik, if all is okay on the printer end, what kind of resolution are you feeding it on the image file end?

Make sure that you aren't trying to print the photos at a larger size than the pixel count of the image file can support for a good resolution print.

Your description of a "smudged" look, though, suggests a printer head problem. But then, why do other types of images come out sharp?

Let us know if you get the problem corrected!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:13 PM   #7

The image file res is 288x360 @ 72 dpi
It's an old photo that I want to print then scan so I can have a larger version and clean up a bit more.
Im not trying to print it larger as I know it will distort.

I am wondering if maybe the ink I am using is not good for photo quality.
I hate paying so much for Epson so went with compatable inks.They seemed to do ok at first but maybe in the long run they are not so good.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:43 PM   #8

This fault may not be in your printer at all, but in the actual image.

I doubt the ink used has anything to do with the blurry result — the colour and brightness may differ a bit with some inks, but as a rule the resolution is much the same.

I'd be looking for another way to clean it up rather than print and scan.

Is there not a way you can scan the original into the computer, resize/clean up and then print it? You'll get ever so much better results that way.

Printing and then scanning loses so much image quality that it's rarely worth the effort.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:52 AM   #9

I think I see what I was doing.
I was making the images print out at 72 dpi
I scanned my kids school pics at 300 dpi and always printed out nice.But now they seemed to not.Well somehow when I made the picture packages in photoshop, the dpi dropped to 72 so I just made a package and set to 300 and the pictures came out nice.So that took care of that.

As for the image I am trying to print.It is 288x360 @ 72 dpi
I left it alone and printed on a 8x10 and the images printed out the size of my thumb!
So I printed again only changing the paper size to 4x6 in printer settings and using that size paper.Came out almost filling the area but as I have said, the image was that blurry/fuzzy result.It looks ok but not sharp as it should.Almost looks as if I used the fragment filter in PS on it

I guess I am out of luck as I do not have the source photo.Not even sure I can get it.

Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Administrator

288x360 is *way* too small for printing photos of most subjects (that's only 103,680 pixels, or approximately 0.1 Megapixel).

You'll want a minimum size of around 600x900 (around 1/2 megapixel), just to get you up to around 150 pixels per inch of detail in a 4x6" print (which is "borderline" before you start seeing pixelation and other problems). To get up to 300 pixels per inch of detail (what some consider to be "photo quality"), you'd want an image with a resolution of around 1200x1800 (2.16 Megapixels).

IOW, with an image size of around 1/10 Megapixel (your 288x360 pixel photo), you don't have enough detail in the file for printing good quality 4x6" images.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote