Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Epson 925 vs HP 7960

I currently own an Epson 1270 that I love. I am looking to do an upgrade to the 925 or the HP7960. My first question would be are either of these printers going to give me a nice upgrade from the 1270? And the next question is which one gives the best quality prints.
Thanks
sandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:55 AM   #2

Default Re: Epson 925 vs HP 7960

I wouldn't do either! The 925 uses essentially the same technology as the 1270. Except for some bells and whistles (that may or may not be important to you), you get no advantage by spending your money on the 925.

As to the HP, there is one significant advantage to it over the 1270 -- better print longevity. Prior to HP's introduction of its 57/58 6 color dye system, the Epson 1270/1280/870 offered the best print permanence of any dye based ink jet printer. (About 4 years on Epson Glossy photo paper, about 9 years on Epson premium glossy paper and about 25 years on Epson Colorlife -- a luster finished paper). HP moved the bar way up (about 50 years on HP glossy) with a couple of caveats: you need to use HP paper and the ink is costly.

FWIW, I also was running a 1270 (I still have it -- it is one fine machine) but when I wanted better permanence, I went to a pigment based printer.

Pigment based printers aren't for everybody. I don't look at them as plug-n-play by any matter of means. After I got the Epson 2200, I had to learn about color management, creating and editing color profiles and using a colorimeter to calibrate my monitor. The learning curve was steep and, for my wife's purposes, there really wasn't any advantage. (People seem to assume that the 2200 gives you a much better image -- it doesn't. It gives you a much more permanent image with a slightly smaller color gamut which means that your images from your 1270 are actually better on average (in a techical sense). They won't last as long, however.

Deciding where to go when you already have an Epson 1270 isn't easy. The easy answer is to do nothing. Unless you are having a particular problem that you want to solve or you are feeling the need for greater permanence (as would be the case if you were selling prints, for example, or simply wanted to create a photo record for future generations), then I recommend that you explain in detail what it is that you feel you are lacking with the 1270. With that knowledge, those on this forum who have travelled this road already will be able to give you some focussed, practical advice.

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandow
I currently own an Epson 1270 that I love. I am looking to do an upgrade to the 925 or the HP7960. My first question would be are either of these printers going to give me a nice upgrade from the 1270? And the next question is which one gives the best quality prints.
Thanks
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:48 PM   #3

Default Re: Epson 925 vs HP 7960

May I ask what is steering you away from a Canon like the i960 or i900D :?:
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote