Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:44 PM   #1

I've been using the printer about a week and spentnearlya hundredglossy photopaperswith different settingsto attainits 'sweet spot'! Well, the results I attained are a mixed bag. While I printed some great looking A4 size photoswhich seemed to have outdone the Photolab Ihad my pictures printed,some pictures sufferedweird and harsh colours.Below you'll see the screenshotof the printing page of the Photoshop CS3.I also click on the 'Page Set up' there tochose'none' for the 'color correction' option at the printer driver which pops up, as advised. Couldn't find any other way to disable the color management of the printer!Actuallyit is also advised toprefer 'Relative Colorimetric' option from the 'Rendering Intent' box. However I foundthe outputs look somewhat duller than the original. Now, Itry adjusting the saturation decreasing the red and yellow while increasing the blueby %20 at the Photoshop before printing, which seems to work!

I had read manypositive reviews about this priter beforeI boughtit, and thereforeexpectthethe presence of 'happy users' togive me some good advice

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2

are you trying to match to screen colours? u need to calibrate monitor if so

why are you using photoshop to print?

have u tired the canon print software??

have u tired using window picture viewer to print from? remembering to go and adjust print settings

but most importantly to start diagnosing your print problems is.... are you using proper paper, like kodak, ilford, epson, hp

if your not.....bin what you have and buy some proper stuff...cheap paper is exactly that...cheap paper

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:57 PM   #3

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
are you trying to match to screen colours? u need to calibrate monitor if so

why are you using photoshop to print?

have u tired the canon print software??

have u tired using window picture viewer to print from? remembering to go and adjust print settings

but most importantly to start diagnosing your print problems is.... are you using proper paper, like kodak, ilford, epson, hp

if your not.....bin what you have and buy some proper stuff...cheap paper is exactly that...cheap paper

Gary

Dear Gary, in the first place I should thankfor your kind interest! Actually, that's my second printer after the Epson R300 which I was so pleased about except its short lived cartridges! Actually checkingmy monitor was among the fist things I did, and I haven't used anything else other than Canonor Epson premium glossy photopapers, both of whichgave very similar results with my printer. As for why I use photoshop to print; according to many combinations I tried (including directly using the canon printer software and window picture manager with various settings) it was the Photoshop which have given the mostpleasing results, which is also mentioned in the Photoshop printing tutorialand oftenaddressed in some forums as well: http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=33966

Well, today I triedthe much advised 'Relative Colorimetric' option once again instead of the 'Saturation' from the 'Rendering Intent' box, but after increasing the saturation by %5 and pushing the shadows slider to the right that much, by which I got some very nice prints!

Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:59 PM   #4

ok mate so i take it you have sorted it.

many people do buy cheap paper believing its as good as kodak epson etc, and it just plain isnt

no u got setting you like make a custom profile with them and write em down !!!

i have a few custom profiles (settings) on my designjet for when i do posters, canvas etc its easier than going back into settings and changing everything.

i have just bought a a3 epson 1400 as i had 25 framed a3 prints to do and my designjet isnt quite as good at small prints LOL.............also bought a vinyl cutter to make stickers for cars etc, so my loft is pretty full now

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:01 PM   #5

A DTP or desk top publishing program is by far the best for both

economical use of the paper and ink allowing resizing, multiple images

and WYSIWYG facilities before committing to print......................musket.

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:34 PM   #6

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
ok mate so i take it you have sorted it.

many people do buy cheap paper believing its as good as kodak epson etc, and it just plain isnt

no u got setting you like make a custom profile with them and write em down !!!

i have a few custom profiles (settings) on my designjet for when i do posters, canvas etc its easier than going back into settings and changing everything.

i have just bought a a3 epson 1400 as i had 25 framed a3 prints to do and my designjet isnt quite as good at small prints LOL.............also bought a vinyl cutter to make stickers for cars etc, so my loft is pretty full now

Gary
Thank you for your kind interest, Gary! Eh, for a sub 200 $ printer as good as it gets; I'd say! Iknew about yourconsiderable experince inprinting, so I would like toreadabout your impressionon the epson 1400, whose priceis quite attractive.However, I hesitated to buy it due to the often complained running cost. I assume youare using theCIS

Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:34 PM   #7

musket wrote:
Quote:
A DTP or desk top publishing program is by far the best for both

economical use of the paper and ink allowing resizing, multiple images

and WYSIWYG facilities before committing to print......................musket.

Sorry for the late reply! Have just started my post doctorate as a student!!

Now, upon your advice about the DTP, I've downloaded the Scribus 1.3.3.12 buthaven't evenmanaged toopen the jpeg images yet:?

Wel, printing seems to an artin itself apart from shooting!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:33 AM   #8

My friend should i follow the same set up you have pictures?
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:40 AM   #9

Well in CS4 it is a little different than CS3, also where should i set the printer profile it has alot of ip4500 choices.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:12 AM   #10

Ok i take iti should in the print menu in CS4 under the display picture i should leave the ( match print color, Gamut warning, and show paper white) all unchecked, then scale to fit media checked (but it only shows a print resolution of 354 PPI) color management is set to document, color handling ( let PS manage colors) and printer profile maybe CANON iP4500 series PR1, do those look like right settings? on the rendering intent should i put saturation? and have black point compensation checked? then i went to page set up and set color/ intesity to manual and color correction to none, should i leave everything else the way it is? thanks my friend P.S i do believe when i set the printer profile to working RGB-sRGB IEC61966-2.1 the colors look way nicer than choosing ip4500 PR1.