Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:35 PM   #1
kk2

I have an Epson R1800 that has reached the point of needing service. I found that I can attach a "waste ink tank" to the printer, but my question is...do I need to replace the ink pads in the bottom of the printer? Once the tube is cut, will ink continue to go to the ink pads or just into the external tank?

Has anyone done something like this before? I'd like to keep using my Epson as a back-up printer, but I also don't want ink to run all over my desk. :roll:
kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2

Once the waste pump is sending head cleaning output to the waste tank, only a very small amount will find its way to the pads — mostly from the wiping area at the far end of the carriage path.

I wouldn't think there's any need to replace the pads — there's usually plenty of pad capacity left at the change point.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:16 PM   #3

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Once the waste pump is sending head cleaning output to the waste tank, only a very small amount will find its way to the pads — mostly from the wiping area at the far end of the carriage path.

I wouldn't think there's any need to replace the pads — there's usually plenty of pad capacity left at the change point.
Tend to agree with Idle... So long as you haven't reset the printer (or someone else hasn't) in the past you should be fine.

If you're paranoid you could always find a tray or something to stick under the tray for a month or so until you can be sure
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:46 PM   #4
kk2

Does it make a difference if it was reset?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:42 PM   #5

kk2 wrote:
Quote:
Does it make a difference if it was reset?
Would depend entirely on how long ago it was reset and how much printing you've done since then.

I've heard reports that the printer can potentially handle up to 2 resets before it overflows but I'm pretty sure that scenario only works if you haven't busted the printers chops with loads and loads of head cleaning. Normal usage over an extended period though should allow waste ink liquid/water to evaporate off which avoids the overflow.

As I said, your best bet would probably to find some kind of tray with a lip running around it to catch any spills just to be on the safe side but otherwise you should be ok.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:01 PM   #6
kk2

I think it was reset, but I stopped using it shortly after that while I was looking into a way to redirect the waste ink. It hasn't been used in over a month now. So I should just maybe set the whole printer on a tray to be on the safe side? Or do you think it may have dried up by now and I don't need to worry about it? I am planning on using this printer as a backup anyway, when I need to print borderless prints. I have a new printer that I use on an almost daily basis.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:14 PM   #7

kk2 wrote:
Quote:
I think it was reset, but I stopped using it shortly after that while I was looking into a way to redirect the waste ink. It hasn't been used in over a month now. So I should just maybe set the whole printer on a tray to be on the safe side? Or do you think it may have dried up by now and I don't need to worry about it? I am planning on using this printer as a backup anyway, when I need to print borderless prints. I have a new printer that I use on an almost daily basis.
I think were I you I'd move the printer to one side so you can prep the area and probably grab a plastic garbage/bin bag and spread it out, put a couple of layers of newspaper down and then move the printer back over the top of that.

That way you can catch any minor spillage and see pretty quickly if you have a problem without going crazy with a tray.

I'm just aware that if the carpet gets ink in then blood is harder to get out and I'd rather not be the one losing the blood if you get my drift..