Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Canon i950/i960 vs. Epson 960 Quality

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse, but I would like to know how Canon i950/i960 print quality compares to Epson Photo 960. I place most importance on print quality and ability to produce decent B&W prints. I haven't been able to get a truly educated response ("print looks great" is not very helpful).
I would greatly appreciate a response from those who have seen prints from both printers, preferably on comparable paper.

Thanks,
Igor
igr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:05 AM   #2

Hi,

We sell alot of Epson so I know the quality rather well. I decided however to get for myself a Canon i950 (don't ask me why).

The blacks of the Epson are slightly better, but the overall picture is better on the i950. BUT be very carefull what paper you use. My Epson just ate everything and printed out wonderful the Canon is a whole other balgame, feed it Kodak and it really sucks, feed it Easy computing paper (don't know how it's called over seas) and it's amazing.

My monitor is calibrated and with everything on the autosetting the picture is exact what I see on the screen, also when compared to a chemical print I can't pick out the printout and the chemical printout.

The only concern I have is longitivity of the inkts, Epson is very good in that area, I don't yet know for Canon.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 4:51 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments. Do you have experience printing in B&W with either of these printers? Which printer produces B&W prints that are closer to the original?
igr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:34 PM   #4

Epson have printers that use pigmented inks for longer duration without fade. The 960 is a dye based printer and the prints will fade over time just like the Canons.

The Canons are faster and it is easy to refill the ink if you print a lot. HP looks the best for black and white right now since is mixes in the heavy pigmented black for them: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...p7960_pg3.html
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 3:18 AM   #5

I have no experience with B&W sorry.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:49 PM   #6

I have done a side by side and neither seem to produce perfect B&W photos. Both seemed to have a greenish cast even with the grayscale only option selected in the drive. My guess is it had a bit to do with lighting and the paper. They were using Epson and Canon standard matte paper - nothing too fancy.

Shading was good on both of them - they both produced a good range of "color". Something I did notice on the SP 960 and HP Photosmarts with the extra 3-black cartridge was that in really complicated photos they tended to get fuzzy in grayscale only mode. The SP 960 was barely noticable but the HP was rather obvious.

Hope that helps at least a little.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote