Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:24 PM   #1

Default Need a good photo printer that can also print other stuff

I have been looking at buying a good photo printer for my boss. He is not technical but is just getting into digital photography. I think he should get either the Canon i900D or the HP7960 so he could print from his media card but does anyone have any idea how these printers would handle a regular print load? Such as MS Word, printing off the internet, that sort of thing and still work well printing photos?

Should I be looking at a different printer?

thanks 8)
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:55 PM   #2

You might consider TWO printers and ten minutes to teach your boss how to pick the printer to use for each job. Windows (I suspect that's your operating system ) lets you set a default printer, or select a second one. Photo printers do great photos. Text printers are cheaper to buy and operate. Why not buy two and take advantage of the capabilites of each?
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:03 AM   #3

The HP will handle everyday printing well. I am not familiar with the Canon printer. I like to install the printer twice. I set the properites for the first printer to print photo quality and print to photo paper. I rename the printer photo printer. I set the second install to normal with plain paper and rename it to work printer. You could name the printer anything that will help you remember it's settings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:04 AM   #4

I forgot to tell you that you will need to setup the properties by right clicking the printer and choosing properties from the drop down menu.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. I will relay this to my boss and see what he wants to do
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:02 PM   #6

The Canon will give you better looking prints if he isn't doing just B&W and cost you a whole lot less doing it. Its also a little quicker and try this, it might sell you itself. Take a camera card into a store and plug it in to the HP. Try to go to picture 10 - it'll take you forever to go from picture to picture. Now do the same thing on the Canon. You'll be pleasantly suprised. As far as text goes, per mL the Canon is cheaper for black ink and will give you about 8-10 ppm black text (fake rating though - 5% coverage) like whats on the box.

Photo inkjet + black laser is the ideal way to go though.

Best way to go: i900D/i960 + Samsung ML laser. You'll spend less than $500 and you have the absolute best quality in both categories and spend less over time.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote