Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Bought I950 need some help with settings, I'm close.

Ok,

I took the plunge and bought the i950, and got it today.

At the moment I use Kodak Picture paper glossy.
But somehow the pictures are a bit dull on the Glossy setting, changing to high-resolution paper is somewhat better, almost exactly what I see on the screen (calibrated). but there are some streaks of the print head visable (not on the glossy setting).

I use the Adobe RGB1998 setting for the document and the BJ2000 profile for the printer.

I can get a good glossy print, but I need to use vivid setting and this gives me some bad posteration.

What paper do you advise or am I doing something wrong.

I temporary used a Epson C70 with the same paper and this got me wonderfull prints, the Canon does look more natural so I know it's there .

Greetings,
Frank

PS.
According to the Kodak site the setting for S900 should be plainpaper, is the S900 the same as the i950 in that setting, I guess not, so which one is closer ?
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:32 PM   #2

Frank

Well, you have a good printer there. You are not doing anything wrong, its the paper and printer ink not working together. As for paper, I would start off with the Canon Photo Pro paper. I, and many others, have had nothing but trouble with Kodak papers on Canon printers. Changing to this paper should take out the streaks, give you great results, more viberant, and great tones. You might have to set the printer driver to Default, as the extra settings that you have made might mess up on the Canon Pro paper. Kodak has some weird settings, as I tried them on my I9100, with similar results that you are getting.

I would use the Canon Pro paper as your baseline and then judge the other papers from that. I have also had good luck with Red River and Pictorico papers. For Red River, they have a sample pack with many different papers, #9996. I would reccomend this to start off and see what paper your printer likes. It is about $10 US. I am not sure if they ship or have places in Europe, but you can ask. Their site is http://www.redrivercatalog.com/.

For the Pictorico papers, I have had good luck with the Photo Gallery Glossy and Premium Photo Glossy papers. I feel the Photo Gallery gives the best prints of all the papers that I have tried, even better than the Canon Photo Pro paper. Their site is http://www.pictorico.com/.

The Epson Colorlife and Enhanced Matte are good papers too.

For all the papers, except the Matte, I leave the printer driver set on the Photo Pro setting.

I think trying these papers will give you much better prints that what the Kodak paper will ever do. I am also supprised that your Epson gave you good prints on the Kodak paper. I had trouble with my C82 and Kodak paper. I was told that the acid in Kodak photo paper doesn't like Epson inks.

Hope this helps!!!

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:01 AM   #3

Hi,

At the moment I use Easy Computing paper, and it's a WHOLE different ballgame , I'm rather happy now.

The colors are VERY natural and compared to a chemical print the difference is not there..... I guess we will be doing our prints from home now.

I have only tested the 260grams 10x15 (4x6) high gloss paper and will try a A4 260gramms high gloss somewhere tonight.

I will hunt down a pack of canon paper from one of our distributors to get a comparison.

The Easy computing stuff is really cheap, retail for 60 A4's high-gloss 260gramms 38,85 including 19% VAT, we are dealer for the brand so for us it's even more attractive .

Now does someone know the running costs of the 950 ? in reality not the 5% stuff.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4

Default Re: Bought I950 need some help with settings, I'm close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
Ok,

PS.
According to the Kodak site the setting for S900 should be plainpaper, is the S900 the same as the i950 in that setting, I guess not, so which one is closer ?
If you are using "KODAK Premium Picture Paper" try this setting
which is from KODAK web site:

Paper/Media: Plain Paper

Print Quality: Custom> Quality= 1, Diffusion.
Color Adjustment: Manual>yellow +2 Intensity +10, Print Type=Photo, Brightness= normal.
Effects: Image Optimizer, Photo Optimizer PRO , Apply Throughout Page, Photo Noise Reduction.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/d...iumPaper.shtml

KODAK Ultima Picture Paper:

Paper/Media: Plain Paper

Print Quality: Custom> Quality= 1, Diffusion
Color Adjustment: Manual>yellow +2 Intensity +10, Print Type=Photo, Brightness= normal
Effects: Image Optimizer, Photo Optimizer PRO , Apply Throughout Page, Photo Noise Reduction

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/d...imaPaper.shtml

Hope this will give some help.
bmw530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 1:31 PM   #5

Default look into the i960

Hey Frank -

FYI if you could still return the i950 - it's successor, the i960 is supposed to be less expensive and Steve deemed that you should choose that over the i950.
Ywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:35 AM   #6

Hi,

At the moment I'm using it with Easy Computing paper 260grams Glossy paper and would see no reason what so ever to return it, the pictures are absolutly stunning to a degree I have never seen before (not even with chemical prints), it took some time to get everything up and running however.

Today I will test with the real Canon paper.

I don't see how the i960 would better the i950 instead of speed, USB2.0 and picture bridge, most of the time output is the same for the newer version when it uses the same inkt.

Will look at the review again, but I thought Steve's conclussion was the same as from the i950 (looked like a cut and paste to be honest).

Greetings,
Frank