Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:02 PM   #11

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Just to confirm, since the MP610 and IP4500 share the same printhead, both the text AND THE PHOTO quality should be identical? It looks like the MP610 would be the best bet for me, since the MP530 is significantly larger, and the MP960 (while not as huge as the 530) is probably too large, plus I'm concerned about the cost and hassle of having to deal with the extra two ink tanks.

Zack
mp610 & ip4500. Idenitcal head, as in the same part number, you can swap them between the two printers. Quality identical. The only benefit is the scanner and card slots. It's the trimmed down version of the mp810, not featuring a slide scanner or CCD. The mp610 features the lesser CIS scanner, but as you are NOT in the market for an all in one, this clearly is not an issue. 512Black 1536 Cyan/magenta 512 Yellow/black

mp530 - Basically the same printhead as the ip5000, but not 100% identical. No swapping possible, well, not that I'm aware.
ip5000 = QY6-0057-000
mp530=QY6-0059-000.
320 black, 512 cyan/magenta, 256 yellow/black, but takes the new ink with chips. Print quality would be identical if you set your ip5000 to Japanese mode and use CLI-8 ink, well, if it fit. A unpopular hack was to set these printers (ip3000/4000/5000) to japanese mode and refill with bulk ink for the ip4200/4300/5200.

Either of these models are going to be almost identical to your old ip5000 in terms of text defination, though the mp610/ip4500 are going to be slightly faster, and less strokes per page will result in less jitter. The ONLY advantage to the mp610/ip4500 is the a larger head, and the medium sized nozzles which were missing on the ip5000/4200/5200/4300 etc... etc.

IMHO for an extra $20-$30 you get a bigger head, which is a $50 part. If you don't notice a quality improvement, less nozzles are fired per page.
Presuming 512nozzles = .85 inches and 320nozzles=.53 inches
mp610 = 13 strokes
mp530 = 21 strokes
Color nozzles are double the size.
Also, a set of medium nozzles for cyan/magenta means one extra set you can use if your large or small fail. Text Black, Yellow and small black don't have a backup, 30pl pigmented black AFAIK, 5pl yellow/smallblack.

But the choice is yours. $100 for what you have with better ink and a sheet feeder, $120-$130 for something with a bigger head, card clots, and a scanner you won't use.

IGExpandingPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:20 PM   #12

antony wrote:
Quote:
Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not wild about the IP4600 since the small tanks seem like a real pain. Are there any Epson (or other brands) printers I should be considering? Main factors for me would be reliability, ease of refilling ink (or buying third party cartridges), quality of text printing, and ability to print CD's.
I bought Epson Stylus Photo R230 in early 2007 for the main purpose of CD/DVD direct printing. It has been working very well for me. (I believe this model is now replaced by R290.)

I use BeLight's Disc Cover software for CD/DVD printing.
The r280 is dirt cheap, about USD$55 or so from the epson store for a referb, $75-$100 in stores. It's actually cheaper to buy printers with a full set of ink from the Epson store then it is to buy store bought ink.

There are good reasons to go epson. They are not thermal based, so you can put pretty much any form of liquid you like through the printhead, from pigment, to oil, to dyesub without major issue. They are certainly more archival than Canon. Weilhelm only rates canon at 10 years if exposed to air. Epson r280 is rated at 14 years unfamed on their premium glossy paper, 82 years with UV filter, 98 under glass. Canon, at best, is 30 years under glass using their premium paper. Also, for printing dark images, or cd covers with white text, epson wins. The dye is also more dense. You can get away with printing on non printable media and expect the ink to dry in 3-6months. It won't look very good, but if you pop it in a case and don't use it, for archives, it is a plus. Canon inks in contrast have the viscosity of water. Also Epson tends to look good on most CDs without tweeking, well, except their pigment models.

However, the r280 isn't a general purpose printer. Text quality is not as good as either the HP or the Canon.

Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:10 AM   #13

Thank you again to everyone who replied, and especially Panda who really went the extra mile to lay out all of my options! I went ahead this morning and ordered the MP610 from the Canon store on sale for $120 with free shipping. Thank you Panda for letting me know about sale, which ended at 10am (the price has now jumped back up to $180 plus shipping). The ability to scan actually will be a plus for me, since I can now copy and scan documents without pulling my big Epson scanner out of the closet - I'll keep the Epson for scanning slides and negatives, or when high quality photo scanning is an issue.

I'm still a bit concerned about the size of the MP610, but I've measured and re-measured, and I think it will JUST fit in the space I need it to. I'll find out shortly...

Best wishes,

Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:49 PM   #14

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you again to everyone who replied, and especially Panda who really went the extra mile to lay out all of my options! I went ahead this morning and ordered the MP610 from the Canon store on sale for $120 with free shipping. Thank you Panda for letting me know about sale, which ended at 10am (the price has now jumped back up to $180 plus shipping). The ability to scan actually will be a plus for me, since I can now copy and scan documents without pulling my big Epson scanner out of the closet - I'll keep the Epson for scanning slides and negatives, or when high quality photo scanning is an issue.

I'm still a bit concerned about the size of the MP610, but I've measured and re-measured, and I think it will JUST fit in the space I need it to. I'll find out shortly...

Best wishes,

Zack

Ack! $180 plus shipping? I'm sure that's an acceptable price, I know $120 is a steller deal, but ouch.
[source images]
http://www.pbase.com/igepanda/yucatan
[mp960 ezphoto print pp-101 paper]
http://www.pbase.com/igepanda/mp960

I haven't scanned images from my mp830 yet, but there is an advantage to the light cyan and magenta inks, just not enough for me to want to spend $100 on. Actually I found the mp960 to be a little bit oversaturated on the default settings, but the sky is certainly smoother

[source]

[mp960]

But no worries on the models. Sorry Canon is playing musical prices.