Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:49 PM   #1

I have a US Canon ip5000 which - with the help of info from this forum - I successfully modded to print CDs and DVD's. The printer no longer works, and I need to replace it.

Can the new US IP3600 and/or IP4600 printers be modded to print CD's? If not, what about the previous models, the IP 3500 and IP4500? Lastly, if any of these models can be hacked, would they be able to use the same (genuine Canon) CD tray which I have for my IP5000?

Thanks!
Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:13 PM   #2

Sorry to be ignorant. But can't you simply buy a new printer that supports CD/DVD prints?
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:28 AM   #3

antony wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to be ignorant. But can't you simply buy a new printer that supports CD/DVD prints?
Canons in the US have the fature disabled. You "could" buy an HP but until recently they only offered this feature on printers with the more expensive head on the cartridge type tanks. They have a "new" model that's differnent featuring ink tanks alot like canon.

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel...otosmart_d5460

You "could" buy an Epson r series, but these are pure photoprinters, not general purpose printers like the Canon tends to offer.

IGExpandingPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:55 AM   #4

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
I have a US Canon ip5000 which - with the help of info from this forum - I successfully modded to print CDs and DVD's. The printer no longer works, and I need to replace it.

Can the new US IP3600 and/or IP4600 printers be modded to print CD's? If not, what about the previous models, the IP 3500 and IP4500? Lastly, if any of these models can be hacked, would they be able to use the same (genuine Canon) CD tray which I have for my IP5000?

Thanks!
Zack
http://damnprinter.com/

Near as I'm aware, there is no data on the ip4600. The ip3600 doesn't support CD printing at all. The printer was released in september, and it ususally takes a while for the information to filter down. I know it takes tray type G thanks to one image on Trusted Reviews.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/printe...jet-Printer/p1

Unfortunatlly your choice is pretty limited to their all and one models, with the exception of the Pixma ip6600D which is on sale on the canon estore for $40 plus shipping&tax (expect $65) as a referb.

mp530 - Tray D - Not the best in the line up, but cheap. This is like the ip4200, smaller head 1&5pl printhead. Buy.com has a referb for $100, new $132 shipped.

mp830 - Tray D - Slightly better in the lineup. Canon has this for $80+shipping&tax I own this model, and actually spent more for a spare. Buy.com wants $221 for it new now, it was $150 three weeks ago. I've successfully used tray type C and tray B in mine, but you would want to get a D as they are thinner.

mp960 - Tray F - This is $100 on the Canon e-store + shipping and tax as a referb. This is the 7 ink tank model and is really worth thinking about. Canon has abandoned 7 tanks (+light cyan/magenta) in favor of a 6 tank model with an extra grey inktank.

mx850 - Tray F - This is basically an ip4500 in an all in one. It features a 1/2/5pl printhead, rather than these other models that feature only 1 and 5pl. Most notable is this printer features networking. amazon.com .com has it new for $165 shipped.
ETA: Note the buy.com price jumped to $200, and canon estore jumped to $180.

ip6600d Tray C - This is a pure photo printer and is missing the pigment black text cartridge. Canon has long since abandoned this model, but it's still a nice photo printer. Pigment isn't used on CDs. Most notable is the price. it's $40 + shipping and tax, so expect the end price to be about $55 to $60 or so. 6 OEM tanks would cost you more than they want for the printer. Got away using a tray B in my ip5200, which takes the tray C. Tray C is ideal.

ip4500 Tray F- The Apple store has this for $99.95 with free shipping
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN...SHOP%2DFroogle
Had I bothered to look at froogle I would have saved my self a lot of typing.

Righto in order of price

ip6600D referb $40+ shipping and tax canon e-store
* ip4500 $99 shipped (tax unknown) apple store
mp830 referb $80 + shipping and tax canon e-store
mp960 referb $100 + shipping and tax canon e-store
mx850 referb $165 shipped buy.com

Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:40 PM   #5

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Since I don't want an all in one (space where I can put the printer is tight, plus I already have a high-quality scanner which I keep in the closet), I was set on getting an IP4500. I checked out the apple store yesterday, and everything looked fine. But when I went to the Apple store site today to place the order, the page had disappeared! A phone call to Apple confirmed that they are no longer selling the printer. Very frustrating.

I'm not wild about the IP4600 since the small tanks seem like a real pain. Are there any Epson (or other brands) printers I should be considering? Main factors for me would be reliability, ease of refilling ink (or buying third party cartridges), quality of text printing, and ability to print CD's.

Thanks,

Zack
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:56 PM   #6

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for the detailed reply. Since I don't want an all in one (space where I can put the printer is tight, plus I already have a high-quality scanner which I keep in the closet), I was set on getting an IP4500. I checked out the apple store yesterday, and everything looked fine. But when I went to the Apple store site today to place the order, the page had disappeared! A phone call to Apple confirmed that they are no longer selling the printer. Very frustrating.

I'm not wild about the IP4600 since the small tanks seem like a real pain. Are there any Epson (or other brands) printers I should be considering? Main factors for me would be reliability, ease of refilling ink (or buying third party cartridges), quality of text printing, and ability to print CD's.

Thanks,

Zack

Sorry about that. It is a act quickly or else sort of deal. I would say go the ip6700D, but that too is no longer listed on the Canon Estore.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...g=p#ps-sellers

You "might" be be able to find the ip4500 on froogle.com.
http://www.adorama.com/ICAIP4500.htm...22705691837847
$120 and free shipping.

Obviously for the price I'd consider the mp960 for $100 + shipping & tax from the canon e-store, or the mp610 at $120 + tax also from the Canon estore. The mp610 is 17.7 inches wide vs the ip4600 which is 17 inches wide.
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/w...category=12054

I don't blame you for not being wild about the ip4600, and there is no documentation on where to get the trays or enabling the CD printing.

[Epson r280]
17.7 inches wide, same as the Canon mp610. You can get it from the Epson store as a referb for $55, I presume plus tax. Image Specalists does have the bulk ink for the printer. I didn't enjoy refilling luck on the older model, the r200. The factory cartridges are, well, a complex mix of chambers. I bought aftermarket refillable cartridges and actually they never worked properlly. The solution I was going to pick was buying aftermarket sponge filled cartridges that can be refilled with ease and use of a chip resetter, but these cartridges are in short supply due to import restrictions.

Given the low price, it's not too much to invest in a CISS system for an r280.

There is a chip resetter for the r280, but I "think" there may be an issue if the chips reach 30% full. There are aftermarket tanks with self resetting chips, and they are reasonable in price, like $30 on e-bay with ink.

However quality of text printing will suffer on this model. It has NO pigmented black text like HP or Canon. You can always fill them with pigmented ink, due to its design the printhead can tollerate change in the medium, but that wouldn't really improve text defination all that much.

[HP d5460]
http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel...otosmart_d5460

Ease of refilling should be on par with Canon, but there is on documentation on resetting the chips, or if the printer will operate on empty chips.

Presently $80 from the HP store
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...;ci_sku=Q8421A

[other HP]

There is another HP that sports CD printing out of the box, but this is the head on the cartridge type. I don't know the details on refilling.

[What to buy]
You bought up text, that limits your options to HP or Canon.
You want documented refilling. That's older canon, perhaps an older HP with the head on the cartridge. You can either hunt around for an ip4500 or buy an all in one.

Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:05 PM   #7

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not wild about the IP4600 since the small tanks seem like a real pain.* Are there any Epson (or other brands) printers I should be considering?* Main factors for me would be reliability, ease of refilling ink (or buying third party cartridges), quality of text printing, and ability to print CD's.
I bought Epson Stylus Photo R230 in early 2007 for the main purpose of CD/DVD direct printing. It has been working very well for me. (I believe this model is now replaced by R290.)

I use BeLight's Disc Cover software for CD/DVD printing.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8

IGExpandingPanda wrote:
Quote:
Obviously for the price I'd consider the mp960 for $100 + shipping & tax from the canon e-store, or the mp610 at $120 + tax also from the Canon estore. The mp610 is 17.7 inches wide vs the ip4600 which is 17 inches wide.
Thank you for another detailed reply! Unfortunately, Adorama is now out of stock of the IP4500, as are several other places listed on Froogle.

Taking another look at the multipurpose printers, I think the MP960 is almost certainly too big to fit where I need it to go (and it doesn't seem to have a pigment black cart, which I assume would mean it is less useful for text printing), but I might be able to make the MP610 work. Should the print quality (both text and photo) of the MP610 be identical to the ip4500? Also, should it be equally easy to mod the MP610 to print CD's. and do you know which CD tray it uses?

Thanks!
Zack
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:24 PM   #9

Zack23 wrote:
Quote:
IGExpandingPanda wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for another detailed reply! Unfortunately, Adorama is now out of stock of the IP4500, as are several other places listed on Froogle.

Taking another look at the multipurpose printers, I think the MP960 is almost certainly too big to fit where I need it to go (and it doesn't seem to have a pigment black cart, which I assume would mean it is less useful for text printing), but I might be able to make the MP610 work. Should the print quality (both text and photo) of the MP610 be identical to the ip4500? Also, should it be equally easy to mod the MP610 to print CD's. and do you know which CD tray it uses?

Thanks!
Zack
Sorry about that. Adorama Camera was listing it as "availalbe" and I in fact checked it last night. It's now comming up with temporarly unavilalbe.

The mp610 takes tray F
http://damnprinter.com/138/canon-mp6...tructions.html
you "may" be able to get away with tray B as I have done on my mp830, but tray F is reccomended as it's thinner. It's what the printer specs call for.

It's also on sale from Amazon.com for $130 shipped.

Obviously something like the mp960 is a better deal at $100 & 260 sheets of 4x6 paper, but there are good reasons to not go for the spiffy photo model, mainly cost to operate. It does offer the pigmented text cartridge. It is, however, a beast. The only alternatives I can think of are the mx850 but that went up in price monday to $200. It "was" $165. It features ethernet. There is the mp620, the wifi model $150 but that takes the new ink and CD printing is not documented.

The mp610 is available for $120-$130 on canon estore and amazon.

The mp610 uses the same printhead as the mp4500, QY6-0075-000. Canon text printing has NOT improved in a long time, the same 600dpi text they were doing 10 years ago is the same 600dpi text you enjoy today. It's pretty good, though HP is without a doubt better. a i550 has the same text as my mp830. The ink has remained realativly unchanged too, the same pages per ml as with decacde old model.

QY-0075-000 - MP610, MP810, iP4500, iP5300, MX850.

Slightly cheaper is the mp530
$100 shipped http://www.adorama.com/ICAMP530.html
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-Of...523&sr=8-1

Actually listed, but suppplies of obviously limited, limited to when I post links.
QY6-0059-000 - MP500, MP530, IP4200
This is more like the ip4200. Smaller printhead for text, 320 nozzles rather than 512. This takes tray D. There is no spiffy color LCD screen. Obviously for speed one would go with the larger number of nozzles. It's also lightly wider than the mp610. But at this juncture, you take what you can get. It does feature a sheet feeder, which is actually kind of handy, and fax. It also lack the 2pl nozzles, only 1pl and 5pl.

QY6-0061-000 - MP600, MP800, MP810, MP830, iP4300, IP5200,
This is the printhead that also features 512 text nozzles, but no 2pl nozzles.
I bring this up mianly for reference purposes. Obviously this head has a longer run. The prior 0059 was pretty limited to the ip4200. These models went on sale in september and october. Obviously come november there is no issue.

I specifically bought the mp830 when it went on sale mainly a spare since it shares a printhead with my ip5200 and I already had a mp830 bought to scan a batch of documents. However, that was when it dropped in price to $150. It was $80 for a short time as a referb on the Canon e-store, but is now out of stock.

Models currently in stock (for a short time0

$120-$130 mp610 canon estore amazon
$100 mp530 adorama amazon

Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:58 PM   #10

IGExpandingPanda wrote
Quote:
Obviously something like the mp960 is a better deal at $100 & 260 sheets of 4x6 paper, but there are good reasons to not go for the spiffy photo model, mainly cost to operate. It does offer the pigmented text cartridge. It is, however, a beast. The only alternatives I can think of are the mx850 but that went up in price monday to $200. It "was" $165. It features ethernet. There is the mp620, the wifi model $150 but that takes the new ink and CD printing is not documented.

The mp610 is available for $120-$130 on canon estore and amazon.

The mp610 uses the same printhead as the mp4500, QY6-0075-000. Canon text printing has NOT improved in a long time, the same 600dpi text they were doing 10 years ago is the same 600dpi text you enjoy today. It's pretty good, though HP is without a doubt better.
Just to confirm, since the MP610 and IP4500 share the same printhead, both the text AND THE PHOTO quality should be identical? It looks like the MP610 would be the best bet for me, since the MP530 is significantly larger, and the MP960 (while not as huge as the 530) is probably too large, plus I'm concerned about the cost and hassle of having to deal with the extra two ink tanks.

Zack