Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1

Changed my MP830's print head to an used one, powered on without any problem, ran print head cleaning, After few minutes, the printer powered off, can't power back on again.

Bought other 2 MP830 from local and eBay, samething happened again. Don't want to give up, I opened chassis and found the power supply is OK. Fuses on the main board are OK too. But no DC power apply to chips.

Bought another ip4300 which uses same model of print head, tested working. Then changed print head (I know this print head worked before), ran print head cleaning, same thing happened again!!!

I think Cannon has a software running to check if the print head is "new" or not. If not new and not been used in the same printer, it will disable the whole power.

Anyone has the same type of problems? Help please, the wife is going to kill me for 4 dead printer on my living room floor.
Thanks.
cdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2

Hi CDRW,
My friend and I have had similar experience.
First my friend with his IP4200. He thought the printhead was broken, so he bought a new one. He set it up into the printer....still no go. He bought another new IP4200 printer and used the old printhead.....no go. Then he set up with the new printhead ...no go. He opened the newest printhead from the new IP4200 box and set it up to the new IP4200....STILL NO GO.
Strange, isn't it ?

He gave up and finally brought the printhead & printer to Canon Service Center.
Apparently what happened is like this :

The logicboard of his old IP4200 was malfucntioning, and it destroyed the printhead. When he set up a new printhead onto the printer, he accidentally also destroyed the printhead. When he bought a new IP4200 and used the old printhead, the already malfunctioning printhead destroyed the new IP4200's logicboard. And then when he set up the newest printhead into the new printer, it was a huge mistake ....simply because he also destroyed the new printhead.

You see ? It was short-circuiting everywhere, first from printer to printhead, and then printhead to printer. All got destroyed.

I cannot believe it when he explained that .......UNTIL IT HAPPENED TO MY OLD CANON I255. Someone gave me an i255 without printhead. I tried my i255's printhead on it.....no print. Returned my printhead to my own i255.....NO PRINT. WTF !!!
I replaced the printhead with my BACKUP-printhead.....still NO PRINT in both printer.
I had a BAD FEELING about this, and went to Canon Service Center. After 1 week, they called me just to inform THE SAME STORY that my friend told me.
The 2nd i255 destroyed my printhead, and then printhead destroyed my i255 logicboard, and then my new printhead.

It's hard to believe that a malfunctioning printhead can also cause a short-circuit to the printer. And then the malfuctinoning printer causes a short-circuit to the new printhead.

I LEARNT THE HARD WAY. Don't try to fix it by yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Even when you thought it was only a broken printhead, and you thought a new printhead would solve the problem. Apparently it is NEVER that easy.
Just bring it to Canon Service Center, and that is the safest way.

Serville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:47 AM   #3

I can confirm this behaviour having discussed this with a few other folks in other forums.

I had an MP750 and an iP4000 which used the same printhead type... The MP750, one day just died with a funny burning smell and I assumed at the time that the printer had failed but had a strange hunch regarding the re-use of the printhead in the iP4000...

Unfortunately my economy mode kicked in and I decided to try it... Blew the iP4000 as well and I quickly put it down to the printhead and threw it away.

I didn't realise at the time it could work this way but if you find a printhead has failed and taken down a printer it's generally best to throw the printhead completely.

You may find that you can revive the printer (without a printhead in it!) by disconnecting the power supply internally and then reconnecting it as this sometimes resets a power breaker (or something - no idea what!) inside the printer. Doesn't always work though.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:08 PM   #4

Thanks Serville and websnail. I can't believe Canon repeat making the mistake in the new printer's circuit design.

I hope Canon will monitor this forum and make their hardware little bit better.

cdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:11 PM   #5

cdrw wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Serville and websnail. I can't believe Canon repeat making the mistake in the new printer's circuit design.

I hope Canon will monitor this forum and make their hardware little bit better.
LOL... you obviously have more faith in them than us then

From their point of view if you blow a printhead and printer when it's in warranty, they send you a refurb... If it's out of warranty the printhead is IN warranty and frankly I think they'd be hard pressed not to agree to send out a refurb or even a new printer.

I mean, after all, if they send you a new printer then you have to pay more for cartridges you can't refill... Who says it's a losing situation for Canon.

*end cynical diatribe*

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:55 PM   #6

Actually I have heard a lot of complaint in fixyourownprinter.com forum that Canon printers tend to short-circuit easily, or have more durability problem than Epson.
I don't know whether it's true or not.
But when I come to think about it, there might be some truth in it because in the last 5 years I have lost 3 Canon printers:
- Canon i865 (logicboard malfunction after 2 years despite rare printing)
- Canon IP1500 (another logicboard problem)
- Canon i255 (recently)

while my brother & friends who use Epson, haven't replaced their old printers in the last 4 years.
But still I love Canon because the refilling is so much easier than Epson & HP.
So, I bought IP4500 & 2 units IP3500 . LOLLLLLLL
Serville is offline   Reply With Quote