Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:57 PM   #1

Default S9000 or i9100

I need help deciding between the cannon s9000 and the i9100 I read steves review on the i9100 and was wondering about the borderless prints how much "white edge" does the s9000 have and is it even all the way around the picture. i do sell my prints but most people tell me they Matte them so the border is no big deal. Also when I do cut the "white Edge" out I simply use a steel ruler and a scaple "very sharp" I saw that the cannon paper cuts hard, any input? And is the 4800 vs 2400 dpi that noticable especially at 13x19now Im at 1200 with my HP 7350 and they are fine. Im changing printers to get the 13x19 size. just seeing if the twice the price is worth it. Thankyou in advance
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:26 PM   #2

I have a 9000 and canít compare it directly to a 9100. From the reviews I would certainly prefer the 9100 though. The border is pretty even for large prints and would be easily hidden by framing. I see little difference between trimming Canon and Red River papers.

If I were selling photos I wouldnít consider anything but the Epson 2200 or something similar from Epson with pigmented ink. For personal photos I donít much care that the dye based ink will fade Ė I can easily print another. But I would never sell a print from either the 9000 or 9100.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 7:38 PM   #3

Steves review ,and I am sure the data is from cannon is 25 years on the print to me that is fine. let me explain I shoot cutting horses and most of my customers are not keeping the photoes forever. so longevity is not a big concern i mean Styles change horses and so forth. My next question is after talking to some folks today is 13x19 that framable most told me it should be 20x16 is this going to be a problem for cutomers ie will they have to get a High Prised frame matting done to frame the photo
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:33 PM   #4

You can get the matting equipment and cut the mats yourself. Otherwise I would think anyone wanting to put a 13 X 19 print in a 16 X 20 frame is going to have to pay to have it done. Most prints look better matted anyway, and a 13 X 19 print looks better matted in a larger frame than 16 X 20.

I donít think Steve ran fade tests on the images. Someone at dpreview had accelerated fade tests of various prints and the only ones that resist fading are the pigmented inks. The Canon prints faded rapidly in his tests. I can already see some fading in prints I hung on the wall. I think it is the Tooth Fairy that guarantees the 25 years.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:18 AM   #5

I agree its like MPG on your car. not sure how they say 25 years but your opinion helped Im going to go look at both printers today and a framing shop to see what an average to frame a 19x13 will run. My customers run hot and cold one time they want 4x6 then 8x10 then 5x7 they are all over the board ,but now some have shown interest a larger print hence the 13x19 thankyou for your imput.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 8:08 AM   #6

I had my mind madeup on the printer but when I got to the store they were sold out of the epson, and the other cannons also, but the guy said he had 1 s9000 with no box all warantys and paper work etc in order for $150 could not pass that up. Got home hooked it up have only printed 1 8.5 x11 so far it looks great. So i'll try this one for a while.