Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:56 AM   #1

I just browsed Ebay for a photo printer. I saw many cheap offers for a new R280.
I started to wonder why. I did a little researh about R280 from the net, and I can not conclude anything from them, but it seems there is "something" about R280 that makes it unpopular. Very few discussion about refilling cartridge in this printer, but lots of CIS information on the net. In some forums, people also seem to have problem with SSC utility. Is there anything suspicious about this printer ?
A friend is looking to buy this printer from Ebay, and he was curious. Thanks.
Serville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:18 PM   #2

Serville wrote:
Quote:
I just browsed Ebay for a photo printer. I saw many cheap offers for a new R280.
I started to wonder why. I did a little researh about R280 from the net, and I can not conclude anything from them, but it seems there is "something" about R280 that makes it unpopular. Very few discussion about refilling cartridge in this printer, but lots of CIS information on the net. In some forums, people also seem to have problem with SSC utility. Is there anything suspicious about this printer ?
I think you've more or less answered your own question here but if you take "R280" and substitute in the phrase "Epsons' newest printer" you get a clearer picture... Why?

Well, here goes..
  1. New printer = new chips = new firmware = lots of time spent looking at ARC's, refilling, etc... and ensuring the existing stuff doesn't work with New printer[/*]
  2. Existing stuff doesn't work = no refilling, much frustration, but buy original Epson[/*]
  3. Buy original Epson = money for Epson, expense for user = look for other printer[/*]
... and so it goes... You also have the whole "service required" thing too where most new printers don't have a publicly available waste ink counter reset (SSC is usually a year to 18 months behind the ball) so when you reach that message you're also in trouble.

Granted I know from looking at the waste ink thing a lot more over the last year that there are resets available if you look hard enough and external waste ink kits are easier to fit than they were... The R series are a piece of p*ss to modify in this way.

Anyhoo... As you say, there's not much talk of it because most folks have still got R300's or 220's or similar generation printers that are still "working fine thankyou very much!" and folks just don't let go.. The people with them are usually the ones who spend time trying to figure out the ways around them so there's less chatter and so it goes round in a circle.

.. and yes, it's a deliberate act on the part of Epson, Canon and others... New printer = new income, new technology and locking the customer in.. Sucks doesn't it... :sad:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.
I think I'd better tell him to look for another printer.
I'll persuade him to buy Canon IP3500 or IP4500.
But personally he prefers Epson because he has got good experience with it.
....and I hate Epson. LOLLL
Serville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:42 PM   #4

Serville wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I think I'd better tell him to look for another printer.
I'll persuade him to buy Canon IP3500 or IP4500.
But personally he prefers Epson because he has got good experience with it.
....and I hate Epson. LOLLL
You could probably get an R340 or R360 in good condition if he casts around and if he's confident with the Epsons why swap.

The resources are there for the R280 although I don't know specifically about the chip capabilities in terms of resetting... I do know that the ARC's (auto reset chips) exist so perhaps the time is here for a CIS...

Anyhoo... all grist to the mill
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:44 PM   #5

Serville wrote:
Quote:
If you're in the States, you can visit epson.com and click on their clearance center. They have the r280 for $55.

There are adnantages to the r280 over the older r200/r220 models. It features higher resolution and new ink. I think the chip issue has long since been resolved on this printer.

These printers are basically throw away units. They waste much ink which goes into a diaper, which can't be replaced by the end user, well, not at least on the r200/r220/300/320 models. They didn't have a frame, so you needed a jig to assemble it. I don't know if they abandoned that approach with the r280.

While being throw away units, the printhead life in Epson is going to be suprior to canon as they are not thermal and as such don't burn out. They do clog, but they don't burn out.

The main reason I went canon over epson was Canon has a general purpose printer, good text. You don't see this in epson, well not on their printers that support CD printing. But the Epson is a pretty steller photo printer. With the waste tank modification, SSC utility to reset the ink counter, there is no reason one can't expect long life from the printer. Hell, for the cost as a refreb it would be cheaper to just buy two rather than a canon. It would be chaper to buy many just for the ink.

IGExpandingPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:20 PM   #6

IGExpandingPanda wrote:
Quote:
These printers are basically throw away units. They waste much ink which goes into a diaper, which can't be replaced by the end user, well, not at least on the r200/r220/300/320 models. They didn't have a frame, so you needed a jig to assemble it. I don't know if they abandoned that approach with the r280.
You can fit an external waste ink tank to the R280 in the same way that you could with the R200 series onwards.

All the intel on that is here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/...pic.php?t=4130