Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:42 PM   #1

have finally refilled the cyan ink today after such a mess trying to do it, however i have put the cartridge back in but the printer wont reconise that its full and just says empty, what have i done wrong or what do i have to do to get the printer to reconise its full, its a new printer and this is the first refil i have done.

hope to hear from you soon
garyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:39 PM   #2

Newer Canon printers have a chip to monitor ink use and discourage refilling. The older models (up to 4500 generation)may use a third party resetter to reset the chip to original settings (PGI-5 and CLI-8 cartridges), but may also be used without the ink level monitoring function provided by the printer if ot reset.

The4600 is a brandnew model, uses a new (smaller) tank, and probably a different chip. I don't think anyone has any experience with this chip yet. Presently, you are on unknown ground in refilling this printer's cartridges.

Among Canon users there is a run on the older generation printers because of the refilling capabilities and known technology.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 3:20 AM   #3

garyde wrote:
Quote:
have finally refilled the cyan ink today after such a mess trying to do it, however i have put the cartridge back in but the printer wont reconise that its full and just says empty, what have i done wrong or what do i have to do to get the printer to reconise its full, its a new printer and this is the first refil i have done.

hope to hear from you soon

Can you tell us what happens? On older models you can print until it complains that it's empty and have to hit resume for a few seconds to disable metering.

Also, can you give us details as to where you bought the ink? I get the impression canon changed their colors slightly.

IGExpandingPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:41 PM   #4

Hi, folks,

I've been refilling my Canon printer ink tanks for years with no problems...until I bought my new ip4600. I use my printers a lot, and I've always visually checked my tank levels frequently. When they appear near half empty, I refill them in place. I drill holes in my tanks with a #26 drill, then plug the hole with a rubber plug that came with an earlier refill kit.

Until a tank chip reset device becomes available for my ip4600 tanks,thebest option is to visually check the tank levels, and refill them (top them off)frequently. I have three tanks that show "low", but this won't stop the printer.

As long as I stay "on top" of my tank levels, I shouldn't have to change a tank for quite a while. The only tank I ever had to physically replace was black. I'm guessing that the filtering media at the output side of the tank became too restricted to print properly. The new tank solved the print quality problem. When the print head finally gave out, it was time for a new printer.

Miki
kanaka_nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:31 AM   #5

Thanks Miki, I have just bought an ip4600 and was surprised when the yellow ink tank came up empty! I suppose, on reflection, I had done a few photo type prints, so considering the small size of the tank, it shouldn't've been a surprise. Can you please answer a couple of questions for me?

1. Where exactly do you drill the hole? Also does it matter if any little bits of plastic get into the tank bit?

2. how many refills do you estimate you think you have injected into each cartridge, and can you estimate how many refills you could do before the print head, or whatever it is stuffs up? I've read you can buy head cleaning stuff if the ink dries...??

3. is a #26 drill 1/26 of an inch? is that about a millimeter?

I love it how the lights won't go back to "full", even from "low"!! These guys are serious about trying to force you to buy their cartridges!! Something I read somewhere is "treat your ink cartridges like the fuel tank on your car"

Thanks for your help.
inkmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6

you don't have to drill them out, there is a factory filler hole under the top label that has a plastic ball in it. you can use a screw eye or any kind of a wood screw that is small enough. just run it in a couple of turns & yank out the ball. either reuse the ball or use one of the aforementioned rubber plugs.
rick320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:08 PM   #7

That still wont reset your Ink monitor, they have'nt found the Holy Grail on that series of tanks yet...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:48 PM   #8

I don't have any direct experience of the iP4600 but based on what has been passed on from reliable sources who have the issues you face with this printer are much the same as you did with any of the earlier chipped printers.

Refilling is detected by the printer and you go through the usual routine of accepting warranty voidance in order to get it to print. Do a search for "iP4200 warranty reset" and you should find TONS of stuff on the subject.

In terms of actually refilling, there are a number of methods out there. rick mentioned the most "natural" one in terms of how most folks started out doing refills but you may want to look up the Durschtich (or "German") method which involves a different approach without the need to re-seal the hole.

Nifty-stuff forums have a LOT of discussion on the subject so rather than reinvent the wheel I'd recommend you spare a couple of hours and visit to get an overview of your options.

And just to clarify, there is NO chip resetter for the iP4600 chip as yet.. There probably will be in due course but don't hold your breath... it took quite a while before the one for the PG5K and CLI8 chips was released.

Hope that helps.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:57 PM   #9

Default Holding reset until blinking stops fixes problem?

I have a Canon iP4600 and refilled three of the ink catridges recently. Two of them seem to be fine, while the third one has been a problem. For awhile it was okay (recognized as not empty, although the level was not reported), the Cyan just triggered "the level cannot be determined; replace the tank" error. Alas, the printer will not print at all then.

Following the advice of another poster, I held down the reset button until the flashing stopped, and wahlah! my document printed. YMMV
Alanakate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:10 PM   #10

I have an IP4300 that I just threw away because of that chip thing. That seems so dirty. baaaaad Canon. thumbs down.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote